Jenna Bush Hager Moving To ‘Southern Living’ As Editor-At-Large
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 5:20 AM EST
Jenna Bush Hager, daughter of former President George W. Bush, has left her position at NBC’s “Today” show for a new job more befitting of her Texan roots. Southern Living’s editor-in-chief, Lindsay Bierman, announced that the 31-year-old journalist and author will join the magazine, in what the NY Times called a potential bid to draw in younger readers.
Hager will write a monthly column for the Daily South titled “The Paper Napkin Review” and will report at the CMT Music Awards in Nashville in June, according to a report by the Christian Post. The lifestyle magazine currently attracts readers with a median age of 51.2, and it boasts a circulation of about 2.8 million. But along with most other magazine publications, newsstand sales have flagged over the years and dipped by 27 percent in June.
Hager, a former correspondent and blogger for NBC, is perhaps still best known for her wild antics as a first daughter. She was an incoming freshman at the University of Texas at Austin when her father assumed the presidency in 2000, and she quickly gained a reputation for underage drinking. But despite being charged with two alcohol-related misdemeanors, Hager’s partying never seemed to hurt her popular image, and Bierman sounded confident that she would fit right in at the magazine.
"I did get the sense that her heart is still very much in the South," Bierman said, in an interview with the Times. "I felt her passion for the South was going to translate into what she would do for Southern Living."
"As a proud Texan, I grew up flipping through my mother's copy of the magazine, dreaming of the dishes," Hager said in a statement. "I'm excited to interview influential Southerners, explore iconic places, and show how the next generation of women entertain.”
“There’s a new generation of Southern women that I’d love to speak to,” she added. “Entertaining and food and all the things that Southern Living does so well is something I don’t do on the ‘Today’ show.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones