Jenna Bush Hager Moving To ‘Southern Living’ As Editor-At-Large
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 5:20 AM EST
Jenna Bush Hager, daughter of former President George W. Bush, has left her position at NBC’s “Today” show for a new job more befitting of her Texan roots. Southern Living’s editor-in-chief, Lindsay Bierman, announced that the 31-year-old journalist and author will join the magazine, in what the NY Times called a potential bid to draw in younger readers.
Hager will write a monthly column for the Daily South titled “The Paper Napkin Review” and will report at the CMT Music Awards in Nashville in June, according to a report by the Christian Post. The lifestyle magazine currently attracts readers with a median age of 51.2, and it boasts a circulation of about 2.8 million. But along with most other magazine publications, newsstand sales have flagged over the years and dipped by 27 percent in June.
Hager, a former correspondent and blogger for NBC, is perhaps still best known for her wild antics as a first daughter. She was an incoming freshman at the University of Texas at Austin when her father assumed the presidency in 2000, and she quickly gained a reputation for underage drinking. But despite being charged with two alcohol-related misdemeanors, Hager’s partying never seemed to hurt her popular image, and Bierman sounded confident that she would fit right in at the magazine.
"I did get the sense that her heart is still very much in the South," Bierman said, in an interview with the Times. "I felt her passion for the South was going to translate into what she would do for Southern Living."
"As a proud Texan, I grew up flipping through my mother's copy of the magazine, dreaming of the dishes," Hager said in a statement. "I'm excited to interview influential Southerners, explore iconic places, and show how the next generation of women entertain.”
“There’s a new generation of Southern women that I’d love to speak to,” she added. “Entertaining and food and all the things that Southern Living does so well is something I don’t do on the ‘Today’ show.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown