Topless Legend Keeley Hazel Slams Media Portrayal of Women
By Dominic Gover | November 28, 2012 5:18 AM EST
Page 3 superstar Keeley Hazel has surprised fans and critics by hitting out at the way the media portrays women.
The 26-year-old model, who earns a fortune by posing topless or scantily clad, said that the image of women in newspapers and magazines was unachievable for many.
"In page 3 and in my modelling pictures I look a completely different way from how I look in real life. It's this image of me which is so different from how I am, which is hard," she said.
"So it's like 'that's you' and it's not really how I look. The thing with the media I do have a problem with is that they have images of girls which are so unachievable.
"Models look so different in real life. So [many women] are striving for an image that's never going to happen. I do think there should be more normal-looking people, looking their best," she told the BBC.
Critics of tabloid images of topless young women said the practice contributed to a culture that made women feel inferior about their own bodies.
The Sun declares that its page 3 girls are not studio-crafted images of an unachievable ideal. It claims models with artificial implants do not make it to page 3 and images are not retouched in the edit studio.
Hazel cashed in on a public appetite for her bankable body with her 32F-24-36 measurements. In 2007, her calendar sold 30,000 copies. The following year, a special swimsuit edition of the calendar also sold well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family