Topless Legend Keeley Hazel Slams Media Portrayal of Women
By Dominic Gover | November 28, 2012 5:18 AM EST
Page 3 superstar Keeley Hazel has surprised fans and critics by hitting out at the way the media portrays women.
The 26-year-old model, who earns a fortune by posing topless or scantily clad, said that the image of women in newspapers and magazines was unachievable for many.
"In page 3 and in my modelling pictures I look a completely different way from how I look in real life. It's this image of me which is so different from how I am, which is hard," she said.
"So it's like 'that's you' and it's not really how I look. The thing with the media I do have a problem with is that they have images of girls which are so unachievable.
"Models look so different in real life. So [many women] are striving for an image that's never going to happen. I do think there should be more normal-looking people, looking their best," she told the BBC.
Critics of tabloid images of topless young women said the practice contributed to a culture that made women feel inferior about their own bodies.
The Sun declares that its page 3 girls are not studio-crafted images of an unachievable ideal. It claims models with artificial implants do not make it to page 3 and images are not retouched in the edit studio.
Hazel cashed in on a public appetite for her bankable body with her 32F-24-36 measurements. In 2007, her calendar sold 30,000 copies. The following year, a special swimsuit edition of the calendar also sold well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS