"Catching Fire" Arena Scenes Shot In IMAX, Josh Hutcherson Reveals
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 5:08 AM EST
If you enjoyed the arena scenes in the first "Hunger Games" film, wait until you see the sequel in IMAX.
“Hunger Games” star Josh Hutcherson recently revealed that the arena scenes in “Catching Fire,” the sequel to the "The Hunger Games," was filmed in IMAX.
Hutcherson plays Peeta Mellark in the sequel adaptation of the Susan Collins novel of the same name. He told MTV News that the movie is only partially filmed in IMAX, but the intense scenes on the battleground received the best shots, according to The List.
"So when you go see it in IMAX, you'll see the regular movie when we're in the Districts and in the Capital. When you see us go up in the pod in the games, it will open up into IMAX. It will be amazing. It's very cool," he said.
“Catching Fire” picks up the story of Peeta Mellark and his love interest and partner, Katniss Everdeen, after winning the 74th Hunger Games. They learn that they must return to the arena, along with two previous victors, as tributes from each district of Panem for the 75th “Quarter Quell” Hunger Games.
Hutcherson says he’s seen footage of the film, and he commends its new director, Francis Lawrence -- who replaces Gary Ross, on “his vision and advanced special effects in the nail-biting scene where the tributes enter the arena.”
"They actually built a cornucopia in Atlanta that we shot at, and it looks amazing, and the way that the spokes got out, and the way everyone comes up on the pedestals and the water -- it looks incredible.
"I've seen some of the CG renderings that Francis has worked on, and they look really, really great."
“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” is scheduled to be released on Nov. 22, 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2