God’s Banker Roberto Calvi: Fresh Claims Link Mystery Death to Drug Lord Pablo Escobar
By Umberto Bacchi | November 28, 2012 4:50 AM EST
Investigations into the mysterious death of Italian banker Roberto Calvi, aka "God's banker" for his close ties with the Vatican, have taken a new twist with claims that Pablo Escobar, the world's most famous drug lord, may have been involved.
Calvi, chairman of Banco Ambrosiano, was found hanging from London's Blackfriars Bridge with $15,000 and a number of bricks in his pockets.
His death came shortly after his bank collapsed in 1982.
Initially ruled a suicide the case into his death was reopened by Italian prosecutors several times amid suspicions that Calvi had been murdered.
The most recent trial was in 2011 which ended with the acquittal of several members of the mafia who had been accused of killing Calvi after money he was supposed to launder for them disappeared.
Now the widow of a Bolivian drug lord linked to the late Escobar has claimed that Calvi was also laundering money on behalf of South American drug kingpins through the Bahamian affiliate of Banco Ambrosiano.
Ayda Suarez Levy said her late husband, drug trafficker Roberto Suarez Gomez, aka the King of Cocaine, and Escobar were in business with Calvi.
She told Italy's La 7 TV station that Calvi asked her husband for help when he got in trouble with Escobar.
As the financial cracks emerged at Ambrosiano, Escobar reportedly asked for the money back that he had put into an account opened by Calvi in Nassau.
"Roberto told him he had to give back the money," Levy said.
Italian police believes that in his last days alive Calvi tried to retrieve $70m from accounts in the Bahamas to save the Banco Ambrosiano, La 7 journalist Gianluigi Nuzzi revealed. The money went missing.
Italian police were reportedly investigating at least four people in connection with the new claims.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine