Powerball Jackpot At Record High: 5 Tips To Win Lottery Wednesday
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 2:03 AM EST
Gamblers and dreamers alike are going wild for Wednesday's Powerball, which hit a record $425 million jackpot making it the biggest lottery pool ever.
The most recent drawing on Saturday saw no winning numbers, so the jackpot went up another $100 million since Saturday. Mary Neubauer, a spokeswoman for the Iowa lottery where the Powerball is headquartered, told ABC News the jackpot is a result from moving the price of a Powerball game from $1 to $2.
"We thought at the time that this would mean bigger and faster-growing jackpots," she said.
Neubauer said the phones at the Powerball headquarters have been ringing off the hook from callers, even from Europe and Canada where Powerball is ineligible, looking to win the $278.3 million cash payout after taxes.
So despite the odds of winning the $425 million jackpot seeming impossible, many are wondering how they can best win the Powerball.
ABC News reported advice from experts with the lottery for all Americans hoping to score big in Wednesday's jackpot. According to experts, quick picks and numbers have only a one in 175 million chance of winning. However, the more tickets bought by a person, the more their chances of winning are increased. Yet, at the same time, the more people that buy tickets, the worse each individual persons' chances get. The experts recommended to scour for smaller jackpots since there is less demand in winning the smaller pots. While 80 percent of players choose the computer-generated numbers for Powerball, it is recommended to choose your own and to steer clear of lucky numbers, which ABC News reported are typically three, seven and 11. The experts also said numbers under 31 are less likely to win as many could be chosen because they represent popular calendar dates like birthdays and anniversaries. Any of these numbers chosen could result in sharing the large jackpot.
Currently, the Powerball jackpot record is $365 million which was won by eight ConAgra Foods workers in Nebraska in 2006. The largest lottery payout, though, was last March when three Mega Millions tickets split a $656 million prize.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Apple Inc. Stock Surge Observed as Hedge Funds 'Feasted' Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Perfume Maker Elizabeth Arden Blames Poor Q4 Financial Results on Justin Bieber Scent
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists