Powerball Jackpot At Record High: 5 Tips To Win Lottery Wednesday
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 2:03 AM EST
Gamblers and dreamers alike are going wild for Wednesday's Powerball, which hit a record $425 million jackpot making it the biggest lottery pool ever.
The most recent drawing on Saturday saw no winning numbers, so the jackpot went up another $100 million since Saturday. Mary Neubauer, a spokeswoman for the Iowa lottery where the Powerball is headquartered, told ABC News the jackpot is a result from moving the price of a Powerball game from $1 to $2.
"We thought at the time that this would mean bigger and faster-growing jackpots," she said.
Neubauer said the phones at the Powerball headquarters have been ringing off the hook from callers, even from Europe and Canada where Powerball is ineligible, looking to win the $278.3 million cash payout after taxes.
So despite the odds of winning the $425 million jackpot seeming impossible, many are wondering how they can best win the Powerball.
ABC News reported advice from experts with the lottery for all Americans hoping to score big in Wednesday's jackpot. According to experts, quick picks and numbers have only a one in 175 million chance of winning. However, the more tickets bought by a person, the more their chances of winning are increased. Yet, at the same time, the more people that buy tickets, the worse each individual persons' chances get. The experts recommended to scour for smaller jackpots since there is less demand in winning the smaller pots. While 80 percent of players choose the computer-generated numbers for Powerball, it is recommended to choose your own and to steer clear of lucky numbers, which ABC News reported are typically three, seven and 11. The experts also said numbers under 31 are less likely to win as many could be chosen because they represent popular calendar dates like birthdays and anniversaries. Any of these numbers chosen could result in sharing the large jackpot.
Currently, the Powerball jackpot record is $365 million which was won by eight ConAgra Foods workers in Nebraska in 2006. The largest lottery payout, though, was last March when three Mega Millions tickets split a $656 million prize.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date