Beauty Queen Killed; Maria Susana Flores Gamez Gunned Down In Mexico Shootout [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 1:51 AM EST
Maria Susana Flores Gamez, a 20-year-old Mexican beauty queen, was gunned down and killed during a shootout this past weekend in Sinaloa, a northern state plagued by drug-fueled violence.
According to authorities, Flores Gamez, who was the 2012 Woman of Sinaloa, was killed on Saturday after getting caught up in a gun battle between military troops and suspected criminals in the municipality of Mocorito. Two others were reportedly killed, CNN reported.
Sinaloa State Attorney General Marco Antonio Higuera told reporters on Monday that a rifle was recovered near the beauty queen’s body, but it was not clear whether she had fired it or who was responsible for shooting her.
"All we know is that it happened during a confrontation that the army had with criminals, and that she was with the group of criminals," he told reporters, according to a transcript from his office obtained by CNN.
Further reports indicate that four people were detained. Authorities seized various weapons, drugs and vehicles.
According to CNN, Flores Gamez was a student of communications before she was crowned Woman of Sinaloa in February. She beat out more than a dozen young women for the title.
A rising Woman of Sinaloa pageant star, Flores Gamez also participated in the 2012 Our Sinaloa Beauty contest.
Organizers of that pageant released a statement upon the news of her death, offering condolences to her family, who received her body on Monday.
"We are dismayed by the news -- a beautiful, young person, happy, and with a big future ahead of her," the pageant organizers said in a statement obtained by CNN. "Rest in peace Susy."
A similar incident made headlines in 2008 when Laura Zuniga, who was a beauty queen at the time, was detained by officials along with seven other men after traveling in two vehicles that contained AR-15 assault rifles, 38 specials, 9mm handguns, cartridges and $50,000 in cash. She was subsequently released.
CNN reports that more than 47,500 people have died in Mexico in drug-related violence since December 2006.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports