Nadine Dorries Loses Fight to Regain Conservative Party Whip in I'm A Celebrity Talks
By Dominic Gover | November 28, 2012 1:16 AM EST
I'm A Celebrity flop Nadine Dorries has failed in her bid to get back into the Conservative party after her ITV jungle jaunt.
Ouspoken Dorries flew back to Britain for talks with chief whip Sir George Young after her stint on I'm on Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here.
But if the outspoken MP was hoping for a soft landing after arriving at Heathrow airport from Australia she was disappointed.
Despite declaring that her meeting with Young went well, Dorries was not brought back within the Tory fold. The prime minister's enforcer decided against handing her back the party whip.
It means she remains effectively expelled from the party and must sit as an independent MP.
A Tory spokesman said: "The whip has not been restored and nor will it be until she proves that she can rebuild bridges with her constituents, her association and her parliamentary colleagues".
Mid-Bedfordshire MP Dorries took three days off from parliament for her prime-time TV adventure. The bulk of her sojourn happened during a recess.
She declared going on the programme was a bid to reach an audience who ignore politics. But it backfired disastrously as viewers voted in their droves for her to eat ostrich anus and munch camel toe, then kicked her off the show. She was first to go.
Voters in her home counties constituency were also unimpressed by the antics of their parliamentary representative, who also got buried in bugs on screen.
Dorries could now face a battle to win over voters on her own patch, a safe Tory seat.
Conservative central office's statement placed the question of what to do with Dorries in the hands of local members. They could de-select her if more than 50 members of the local association back a move.
But withholding the pary whip could backfire if Dorries uses her stint out in the cold to wreak havoc on Tory high command from the back benches.
David Cameron and Chancellor George Osborne each know she is more than willing to make uncomfotable headlines for them. She previously labelled them as "out-of-touch posh boys".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- NSW Braces for Severe Weather Condition
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools