Nadine Dorries Loses Fight to Regain Conservative Party Whip in I'm A Celebrity Talks
By Dominic Gover | November 28, 2012 1:16 AM EST
I'm A Celebrity flop Nadine Dorries has failed in her bid to get back into the Conservative party after her ITV jungle jaunt.
Ouspoken Dorries flew back to Britain for talks with chief whip Sir George Young after her stint on I'm on Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here.
But if the outspoken MP was hoping for a soft landing after arriving at Heathrow airport from Australia she was disappointed.
Despite declaring that her meeting with Young went well, Dorries was not brought back within the Tory fold. The prime minister's enforcer decided against handing her back the party whip.
It means she remains effectively expelled from the party and must sit as an independent MP.
A Tory spokesman said: "The whip has not been restored and nor will it be until she proves that she can rebuild bridges with her constituents, her association and her parliamentary colleagues".
Mid-Bedfordshire MP Dorries took three days off from parliament for her prime-time TV adventure. The bulk of her sojourn happened during a recess.
She declared going on the programme was a bid to reach an audience who ignore politics. But it backfired disastrously as viewers voted in their droves for her to eat ostrich anus and munch camel toe, then kicked her off the show. She was first to go.
Voters in her home counties constituency were also unimpressed by the antics of their parliamentary representative, who also got buried in bugs on screen.
Dorries could now face a battle to win over voters on her own patch, a safe Tory seat.
Conservative central office's statement placed the question of what to do with Dorries in the hands of local members. They could de-select her if more than 50 members of the local association back a move.
But withholding the pary whip could backfire if Dorries uses her stint out in the cold to wreak havoc on Tory high command from the back benches.
David Cameron and Chancellor George Osborne each know she is more than willing to make uncomfotable headlines for them. She previously labelled them as "out-of-touch posh boys".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- New Zealand's Surveillance Laws Are Anti-People, Says Green Party leader Russel Norman
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues