Gun-Wielding Beauty Queen Maria Susana Flores Gamez Killed in Mexico Shootout
By Hannah Osborne | November 27, 2012 11:28 PM EST
Former beauty queen Maria Susana Flores Gamez has been found dead following a shootout on a country road in a mountainous area of the drug-riddled Mexican state of Sinaloa.
Gamez is thought to have been a member of a gang and may have been involved in a gunfight with the military.
Forensic examinations showed gunshot residue on her body, suggesting that he fired a weapon.
Sinaloa state prosecutor Marco Antonio Higuera Gomez said: "She was in the criminal group that clashed with army service members."
The 20-year-old was voted the 2012 Woman of Sinaloa in a February beauty pagent. She also competed in the prestigious state beauty contest, Our Beauty Sinaloa, but did not win.
According to Higuera, her body was found lying near an assault rifle.
"She was with the gang of criminals, but we cannot say whether she participated in the shootout. That's what we're going to have to investigate," he said.
Javier Valdes, author of Miss Narco, which looked at the ties between drugs and beauty pageants, said Gamez's story was a familiar one.
"There is a relationship, sometimes pleasant and sometimes tragic, between organised crime and the beauty queens, the pageants, the beauty industry itself.
"It is a question of privilege, power, money, but also a question of need. For a lot of these young women, it is easy to get involved with organised crime in a country that doesn't offer many opportunities for young people.
He said that the relationship between drug traffickers and beauty queens works both ways - with women seeking out 'narco' boyfriends as well as the other way round. However, the story rarely ends well for the women involved, Valdes said.
"They are disposable objects, the lowest link in the chain of criminal organisations, the young men recruited as gunmen and the pretty young women who are tossed away in two or three years, or are turned into police [informers] or killed."
Gamez had been travelling in a vehicle convoy that was involved in a lengthy car chase that erupted into the gun battle near the city of Guamuchil - home to Mexico's most powerful drug cartel.
Two other members of the drug gang were killed and four were arrested, Higuera said.
The fight began after gunmen opened fire on a Mexican army patrol. The gang were cornered at a safe house in the town of Mocorito, but they escaped and the battle continued along a nearby road, where the cars were eventually stopped.
Gamez's body has now been turned over to relatives for burial. Higuera said: "This is a sad situation."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales