Gun-Wielding Beauty Queen Maria Susana Flores Gamez Killed in Mexico Shootout
By Hannah Osborne | November 27, 2012 11:28 PM EST
Former beauty queen Maria Susana Flores Gamez has been found dead following a shootout on a country road in a mountainous area of the drug-riddled Mexican state of Sinaloa.
Gamez is thought to have been a member of a gang and may have been involved in a gunfight with the military.
Forensic examinations showed gunshot residue on her body, suggesting that he fired a weapon.
Sinaloa state prosecutor Marco Antonio Higuera Gomez said: "She was in the criminal group that clashed with army service members."
The 20-year-old was voted the 2012 Woman of Sinaloa in a February beauty pagent. She also competed in the prestigious state beauty contest, Our Beauty Sinaloa, but did not win.
According to Higuera, her body was found lying near an assault rifle.
"She was with the gang of criminals, but we cannot say whether she participated in the shootout. That's what we're going to have to investigate," he said.
Javier Valdes, author of Miss Narco, which looked at the ties between drugs and beauty pageants, said Gamez's story was a familiar one.
"There is a relationship, sometimes pleasant and sometimes tragic, between organised crime and the beauty queens, the pageants, the beauty industry itself.
"It is a question of privilege, power, money, but also a question of need. For a lot of these young women, it is easy to get involved with organised crime in a country that doesn't offer many opportunities for young people.
He said that the relationship between drug traffickers and beauty queens works both ways - with women seeking out 'narco' boyfriends as well as the other way round. However, the story rarely ends well for the women involved, Valdes said.
"They are disposable objects, the lowest link in the chain of criminal organisations, the young men recruited as gunmen and the pretty young women who are tossed away in two or three years, or are turned into police [informers] or killed."
Gamez had been travelling in a vehicle convoy that was involved in a lengthy car chase that erupted into the gun battle near the city of Guamuchil - home to Mexico's most powerful drug cartel.
Two other members of the drug gang were killed and four were arrested, Higuera said.
The fight began after gunmen opened fire on a Mexican army patrol. The gang were cornered at a safe house in the town of Mocorito, but they escaped and the battle continued along a nearby road, where the cars were eventually stopped.
Gamez's body has now been turned over to relatives for burial. Higuera said: "This is a sad situation."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date