Gun-Wielding Beauty Queen Maria Susana Flores Gamez Killed in Mexico Shootout
By Hannah Osborne | November 27, 2012 11:28 PM EST
Former beauty queen Maria Susana Flores Gamez has been found dead following a shootout on a country road in a mountainous area of the drug-riddled Mexican state of Sinaloa.
Gamez is thought to have been a member of a gang and may have been involved in a gunfight with the military.
Forensic examinations showed gunshot residue on her body, suggesting that he fired a weapon.
Sinaloa state prosecutor Marco Antonio Higuera Gomez said: "She was in the criminal group that clashed with army service members."
The 20-year-old was voted the 2012 Woman of Sinaloa in a February beauty pagent. She also competed in the prestigious state beauty contest, Our Beauty Sinaloa, but did not win.
According to Higuera, her body was found lying near an assault rifle.
"She was with the gang of criminals, but we cannot say whether she participated in the shootout. That's what we're going to have to investigate," he said.
Javier Valdes, author of Miss Narco, which looked at the ties between drugs and beauty pageants, said Gamez's story was a familiar one.
"There is a relationship, sometimes pleasant and sometimes tragic, between organised crime and the beauty queens, the pageants, the beauty industry itself.
"It is a question of privilege, power, money, but also a question of need. For a lot of these young women, it is easy to get involved with organised crime in a country that doesn't offer many opportunities for young people.
He said that the relationship between drug traffickers and beauty queens works both ways - with women seeking out 'narco' boyfriends as well as the other way round. However, the story rarely ends well for the women involved, Valdes said.
"They are disposable objects, the lowest link in the chain of criminal organisations, the young men recruited as gunmen and the pretty young women who are tossed away in two or three years, or are turned into police [informers] or killed."
Gamez had been travelling in a vehicle convoy that was involved in a lengthy car chase that erupted into the gun battle near the city of Guamuchil - home to Mexico's most powerful drug cartel.
Two other members of the drug gang were killed and four were arrested, Higuera said.
The fight began after gunmen opened fire on a Mexican army patrol. The gang were cornered at a safe house in the town of Mocorito, but they escaped and the battle continued along a nearby road, where the cars were eventually stopped.
Gamez's body has now been turned over to relatives for burial. Higuera said: "This is a sad situation."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans