LG Nexus 4 smartphone users can now rejoice over the release of latest Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware dubbed as Xylon, which brings some visual enhancements and December bug-fix (unable to display date) to the table. The AOSP based custom ROM ports the latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean firmware (unofficially) with due credit to its maker - XDA recognised developer DaXmax.
How to Update Nexus 4 to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean with Xylon Custom ROM
- Download the LG Nexus 4 Xylon Jellybean 4.2 Firmware and Google Apps Package from here to your computer. After the files are downloaded, connect your phone to the computer using the USB cable and copy the zip files to the root folder on your phone's internal memory.
- After copying the files, disconnect the phone from computer and download the ROM Manager app from Google Play Store and choose Enter device into Recovery Mode option.
- Now, in recovery mode choose Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe Cache partition. Then click advanced and wipe the Dalvik cache so that all the cache data is erased.
- In recovery mode, choose install zip from sd card and then select the ROM zip package and Google apps package, which you copied to your phone earlier.
- Install the ROM zip package first. It will take about 4 to 5 minutes for installation to complete. Once the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update is applied successfully, you can repeat this step and install Google apps package. Finally, click Go back and choose Reboot System Now for restarting the device in the normal mode.
- Go to "Settings > About Phone" to verify the firmware version installed. Just in case if the firmware is not updated, you will need to retry the process of applying this update.
Note: In case if the device fails to boot or display the home screen then remove the battery and reinsert it to boot the device again in normal mode.
[Source: Android Advices]
To contact the editor, e-mail: