Chelsea Star Excited about First African Cup of Nations
By Naveen Ullal | November 27, 2012 8:13 PM EST
Chelsea winger Victor Moses has expressed his delight to be part of the Nigeria side for the upcoming African Cup of Nations in South Africa. The 21-year-old, who featured for England in the junior levels, will be representing his country for the first time at the big stage, after being granted permission by FIFA last year.
"This will certainly be my first Africa Cup of Nations. And I want to make it a memorable one by doing my best and giving Nigeria all I've got. It will be an honour for me to represent Nigeria at this stage in African football after accepting to play for the country in short a time. I want to take my club form to play at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations," the former Wigan Athletic star told Goal.com.
Moses is set to miss six weeks of Premier League action with Chelsea, along with his compatriot John Obi Mikel. The player believes it will be a huge honour to play for Nigeria and has accepted the challenge to replicate his good form with the Blues, during Africa's biggest tournament.
"I am already focusing on what will happen in South Africa because African football has it own peculiarities. You have to be strong and determined to do well against an African side and I am already tunning my mind to the tackles and strong challenges in all the matches. But I think I am equal to the task because I am also a strong player. No matter the way you look at the Super Eagles, we have a good team that can win the trophy under an enabling environment," the Chelsea man added.
Moses also claims the Super Eagles boss Stephen Keshi has built a competitive squad for the tournament and feels his side are one of the strong contenders for the title.
"Stephen Keshi has been able to build the fighting spirit in us and Nigerians will see a new team during the Africa Cup of Nations. I want to give everything in all the matches and I know all the players that will be selected will also be ready to die for Nigeria if need be," the winger added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border