South Korea Prepares for Rocket Launch into Space
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 27, 2012 7:59 PM EST
South Korea has begun final preparations to launch the Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1), also known as Naro-1.
"The transportation of the Naro-1 to its launchpad was completed," said the Korea Aerospace Research Institute.
It will be Seoul's third attempt to send a rocket to space after the first two launches, in 2009 and 2010 respectively, were not successful.
The launch was originally scheduled in October but delayed because of technical problems. The vehicle is primarily aimed at collecting information on space radiation and will be crucial in Seoul's space ambitions.
Reports suggest that North Korea was trying to take advantage of the latest development by preparing its own missile launch.
Images collected by the satellite operator DigitalGlobe showed an increased activity in the North's Sohae Satellite Launch Station. The increasing number of people and trucks in the launch site were "consistent" with an earlier failed launch.
"Given the observed level of activity noted of a new tent, trucks, people and numerous portable fuel/oxidiser tanks, should North Korea desire, it could possibly conduct its fifth satellite launch event during the next three weeks," said the satellite operator.
The impoverished country is under heavy US-backed sanctions over its nuclear ambitions. The defiant nation carried out two nuclear tests earlier in 2006 and in 2009.
North Korea is thought to be developing a long-range ballistic missile capable of striking the US with a range of up to 6,700km. Its last attempt, in April, failed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date