China Partners with 39 Australian Universities for Knowledge Linkages Boost
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 27, 2012 5:30 PM EST
Results of a study made by Universities Australia have shown that 39 Australian universities have entered into more formal agreements with Chinese counterparts than with any education institution from another country. This meant that the United States, long favored by Australia as number one ''knowledge partner'' since 1990, has been dethroned by the second-largest economy.
Since 2003, connections forged with China jumped 72 per cent, translating to 885 university agreements with Chinese institutions, compared with 876 with institutions in the US.
Out of the 885 agreements, 89 per cent involved academic or research collaboration, 25 per cent on student exchanges, 48 per cent on staff exchanges while 6 per cent included a study abroad component.
"In 2009, China became Australia's No 1 trading partner. Just three years on, it is also our No 1 knowledge partner," Belinda Robinson, Universities Australia chief executive, said.
The jump meant Australia believes its trading relations with China bodes well for future and successful endeavors.
"Australia decided to capitalise on the opportunities in Asia because it knows that the value of such relationships could translate well for productivity, trade, foreign relations and cultural understanding," Ms Robinson said.
''What we are talking about here is not selling finite resources, but generating infinite knowledge.''
Ms Robinson likewise noted that under the Asian Century White Paper, universities are urged to have at least one major partner in Asia. "But the report shows that we remain ahead of the pack with over 2800 agreements in place."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Video of Kids Reaction to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Goes Viral [Watch YouTube Clip]
- PM Tony Abbott’s Adviser Advocates Return of Using Cane to Discipline Students
- Survey Says 37% of Investors Consider Books, Magazines & Online Media as Best Sources of ‘Education’
- Fourth of July Guide On Do's and Don'ts On Firework Sounds For Your Dogs
- Students in Australia to Pay Higher University Fees Unless Tax is Increased
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools