China Partners with 39 Australian Universities for Knowledge Linkages Boost
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 27, 2012 5:30 PM EST
Results of a study made by Universities Australia have shown that 39 Australian universities have entered into more formal agreements with Chinese counterparts than with any education institution from another country. This meant that the United States, long favored by Australia as number one ''knowledge partner'' since 1990, has been dethroned by the second-largest economy.
Since 2003, connections forged with China jumped 72 per cent, translating to 885 university agreements with Chinese institutions, compared with 876 with institutions in the US.
Out of the 885 agreements, 89 per cent involved academic or research collaboration, 25 per cent on student exchanges, 48 per cent on staff exchanges while 6 per cent included a study abroad component.
"In 2009, China became Australia's No 1 trading partner. Just three years on, it is also our No 1 knowledge partner," Belinda Robinson, Universities Australia chief executive, said.
The jump meant Australia believes its trading relations with China bodes well for future and successful endeavors.
"Australia decided to capitalise on the opportunities in Asia because it knows that the value of such relationships could translate well for productivity, trade, foreign relations and cultural understanding," Ms Robinson said.
''What we are talking about here is not selling finite resources, but generating infinite knowledge.''
Ms Robinson likewise noted that under the Asian Century White Paper, universities are urged to have at least one major partner in Asia. "But the report shows that we remain ahead of the pack with over 2800 agreements in place."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- B.C. Teachers Strike: Public Classes for Half a Billion Kids Finally Start
- Canada Results Show Low Math Score In Grade 3 & 6
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- BC Labour Unions Offer $8M Interest-Free Loans to Striking Teachers; Surplus Won’t Be Used to Settle Teachers’ Strike – Finance Minister
- 12-Year Old's Racy Photos And Erotica Literature Discovered In iPad School Provided
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed