China Partners with 39 Australian Universities for Knowledge Linkages Boost
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 27, 2012 5:30 PM EST
Results of a study made by Universities Australia have shown that 39 Australian universities have entered into more formal agreements with Chinese counterparts than with any education institution from another country. This meant that the United States, long favored by Australia as number one ''knowledge partner'' since 1990, has been dethroned by the second-largest economy.
Since 2003, connections forged with China jumped 72 per cent, translating to 885 university agreements with Chinese institutions, compared with 876 with institutions in the US.
Out of the 885 agreements, 89 per cent involved academic or research collaboration, 25 per cent on student exchanges, 48 per cent on staff exchanges while 6 per cent included a study abroad component.
"In 2009, China became Australia's No 1 trading partner. Just three years on, it is also our No 1 knowledge partner," Belinda Robinson, Universities Australia chief executive, said.
The jump meant Australia believes its trading relations with China bodes well for future and successful endeavors.
"Australia decided to capitalise on the opportunities in Asia because it knows that the value of such relationships could translate well for productivity, trade, foreign relations and cultural understanding," Ms Robinson said.
''What we are talking about here is not selling finite resources, but generating infinite knowledge.''
Ms Robinson likewise noted that under the Asian Century White Paper, universities are urged to have at least one major partner in Asia. "But the report shows that we remain ahead of the pack with over 2800 agreements in place."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon