'The Mentalist' Season 5 Episode 9: Ex-CBI Boss Virgil Minelli and [SPOILER] -- Their Red John Connection
By Arlene Paredes | November 27, 2012 4:00 PM EST
"The Mentalist" viewers are being asked to consider the possibility that Red John has appeared on the series, and he may not even be Robert Kirkland from Homeland Security. So, the guessing continues. Who is Red John?
Remember ex-CBI director Virgil Minelli? Gale Bertram currently holds his former post. Minelli is seen in the 100th episode agreeing to an FBI agent's demand for Red John information and updates. In this special episode, however, it is believed the requested information was meant for Kirkland.
Bertram was one of agent J.J. LaRoche's suspects in the murder of a Red John man. He was "tested" at the end of Season 3, but he somehow got cleared.
'What if you've never actually met Red John?' - Lisbon
Patrick Jane is listing down the name of virtually every person he has ever interacted with since getting involved with the CBI. Jane thinks Lorelei has inadvertently given him an important clue to Red John's identity.
"What if you've never actually met Red John?" Teresa Lisbon asks Jane, echoing what some viewers are probably thinking.
"I haven't just met him. I've shaken hands with him," Jane answers, hinting that he is convinced he has met Red John.
Jane is replaying in his mind what Lorelei had let slip when talking about his similarities with Red John. So when Lisbon asks him whether she's in his book of "suspects," Jane answers, "[Lorelei] said, it's a wonder Red John and I didn't become friends. Now, what we have, I consider a friendship. So, my friend, you are free and clear."
The Mentalist's Notebook: Is Virgil Minelli a Viable Suspect? [SPOILER ALERT]
Towards the end of the latest episode (Season 5 Episode 9: "Black Cherry"), Jane is seen studying his list of suspects. A familiar name stands out: Virgil Minelli. But is this character a viable suspect at all?
Minelli simply does not strike as the diabolically manipulative type. And while he is not particularly close friends with Jane, the two of them are more than mere acquaintances.
Now let's take a look at the other familiar name on Jane's list: Osvaldo (Oscar) Ardiles, DA's Office. This man is definitely not a friend of Jane. What's more, his name is also in LaRoche's list. It was later proven that FBI agent Craig O'Laughlin was the right bad guy in the said list. But what if LaRoche got two correct names there?
"The Mentalist" creator Bruno Heller is doing a good job confusing the viewers, but this is going to get boring unless interesting twists unfold again.
Wait for Jane's next encounter with lawyer Ardiles, who is last seen in Season 4 Episode 14: "At First Blush."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- 'Terminator' 5 And 'Jurassic World' Trailers To Be Released Soon
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff