Life on Mars? NASA Downplays ‘One for the History Books’ Remark, Gorilla Vision Spotted in Photo [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | November 27, 2012 2:41 PM EST
Mars rover Curiosity may or may not have found something exceptionally remarkable on the Red Planet. The science community is waiting for some confirmation. But a NASA spokesman seems to be less excited than the lead investigator for the Martian mission.
Meanwhile, an image of a gorilla has been spotted in one of the Martian photos taken by NASA. The photos have been put together in video format, and it is now on YouTube. The clip is titled, "Living Gorilla discovered on Mars? Must see - 2012 HD."
Joe Palca of NPR reported some seemingly exciting updates on Mars Tuesday last week.
"We're getting data from SAM as we sit here and speak, and the data looks really interesting," John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, told Palca.
"This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," Grotzinger added.
But when the AFP checked with a spokesman for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the excitement was completely downplayed.
Mars exploration: Earlier reports similarly delightful
"[John] has been similarly delighted by results at other points during the mission so far," spokesman Guy Webster told AFP.
"As for history books, the whole mission is for the history books," he added.
The two NASA scientists may not be on the same level of thrill. But the good news is there will still be some announcements in a few weeks or a month's time.
"The scientists want to gain confidence in the findings before taking them outside of the science team," Webster noted.
Mars exploration update: Gorilla in Mars? [VIDEO]
Meanwhile, UFO observer Scott Waring suspects a YouTube video uploader may have spotted what looks like a gorilla in some Martian photos.
"[The image looks like] an actual animal on the surface of Mars. This creature's face has a mouth, cheeks, firm eyebrow area, and to top it off it has a gorilla-like body. Of course this could just be another ancient carving that survived the test of time," Waring wrote on his blog.
Take a look at this photo and play the media below. Do you see a massive rock formation, a creature, or something else?
(Image source: NASA Spirit Rover)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Canada PM Stephen Harper to Skip UN Climate Summit
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border