Life on Mars? NASA Downplays ‘One for the History Books’ Remark, Gorilla Vision Spotted in Photo [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | November 27, 2012 2:41 PM EST
Mars rover Curiosity may or may not have found something exceptionally remarkable on the Red Planet. The science community is waiting for some confirmation. But a NASA spokesman seems to be less excited than the lead investigator for the Martian mission.
Meanwhile, an image of a gorilla has been spotted in one of the Martian photos taken by NASA. The photos have been put together in video format, and it is now on YouTube. The clip is titled, "Living Gorilla discovered on Mars? Must see - 2012 HD."
Joe Palca of NPR reported some seemingly exciting updates on Mars Tuesday last week.
"We're getting data from SAM as we sit here and speak, and the data looks really interesting," John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, told Palca.
"This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," Grotzinger added.
But when the AFP checked with a spokesman for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the excitement was completely downplayed.
Mars exploration: Earlier reports similarly delightful
"[John] has been similarly delighted by results at other points during the mission so far," spokesman Guy Webster told AFP.
"As for history books, the whole mission is for the history books," he added.
The two NASA scientists may not be on the same level of thrill. But the good news is there will still be some announcements in a few weeks or a month's time.
"The scientists want to gain confidence in the findings before taking them outside of the science team," Webster noted.
Mars exploration update: Gorilla in Mars? [VIDEO]
Meanwhile, UFO observer Scott Waring suspects a YouTube video uploader may have spotted what looks like a gorilla in some Martian photos.
"[The image looks like] an actual animal on the surface of Mars. This creature's face has a mouth, cheeks, firm eyebrow area, and to top it off it has a gorilla-like body. Of course this could just be another ancient carving that survived the test of time," Waring wrote on his blog.
Take a look at this photo and play the media below. Do you see a massive rock formation, a creature, or something else?
(Image source: NASA Spirit Rover)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features