Life on Mars? NASA Downplays ‘One for the History Books’ Remark, Gorilla Vision Spotted in Photo [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | November 27, 2012 2:41 PM EST
Mars rover Curiosity may or may not have found something exceptionally remarkable on the Red Planet. The science community is waiting for some confirmation. But a NASA spokesman seems to be less excited than the lead investigator for the Martian mission.
Meanwhile, an image of a gorilla has been spotted in one of the Martian photos taken by NASA. The photos have been put together in video format, and it is now on YouTube. The clip is titled, "Living Gorilla discovered on Mars? Must see - 2012 HD."
Joe Palca of NPR reported some seemingly exciting updates on Mars Tuesday last week.
"We're getting data from SAM as we sit here and speak, and the data looks really interesting," John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, told Palca.
"This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," Grotzinger added.
But when the AFP checked with a spokesman for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the excitement was completely downplayed.
Mars exploration: Earlier reports similarly delightful
"[John] has been similarly delighted by results at other points during the mission so far," spokesman Guy Webster told AFP.
"As for history books, the whole mission is for the history books," he added.
The two NASA scientists may not be on the same level of thrill. But the good news is there will still be some announcements in a few weeks or a month's time.
"The scientists want to gain confidence in the findings before taking them outside of the science team," Webster noted.
Mars exploration update: Gorilla in Mars? [VIDEO]
Meanwhile, UFO observer Scott Waring suspects a YouTube video uploader may have spotted what looks like a gorilla in some Martian photos.
"[The image looks like] an actual animal on the surface of Mars. This creature's face has a mouth, cheeks, firm eyebrow area, and to top it off it has a gorilla-like body. Of course this could just be another ancient carving that survived the test of time," Waring wrote on his blog.
Take a look at this photo and play the media below. Do you see a massive rock formation, a creature, or something else?
(Image source: NASA Spirit Rover)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks