Life on Mars? NASA Downplays ‘One for the History Books’ Remark, Gorilla Vision Spotted in Photo [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | November 27, 2012 2:41 PM EST
Mars rover Curiosity may or may not have found something exceptionally remarkable on the Red Planet. The science community is waiting for some confirmation. But a NASA spokesman seems to be less excited than the lead investigator for the Martian mission.
Meanwhile, an image of a gorilla has been spotted in one of the Martian photos taken by NASA. The photos have been put together in video format, and it is now on YouTube. The clip is titled, "Living Gorilla discovered on Mars? Must see - 2012 HD."
Joe Palca of NPR reported some seemingly exciting updates on Mars Tuesday last week.
"We're getting data from SAM as we sit here and speak, and the data looks really interesting," John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, told Palca.
"This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," Grotzinger added.
But when the AFP checked with a spokesman for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the excitement was completely downplayed.
Mars exploration: Earlier reports similarly delightful
"[John] has been similarly delighted by results at other points during the mission so far," spokesman Guy Webster told AFP.
"As for history books, the whole mission is for the history books," he added.
The two NASA scientists may not be on the same level of thrill. But the good news is there will still be some announcements in a few weeks or a month's time.
"The scientists want to gain confidence in the findings before taking them outside of the science team," Webster noted.
Mars exploration update: Gorilla in Mars? [VIDEO]
Meanwhile, UFO observer Scott Waring suspects a YouTube video uploader may have spotted what looks like a gorilla in some Martian photos.
"[The image looks like] an actual animal on the surface of Mars. This creature's face has a mouth, cheeks, firm eyebrow area, and to top it off it has a gorilla-like body. Of course this could just be another ancient carving that survived the test of time," Waring wrote on his blog.
Take a look at this photo and play the media below. Do you see a massive rock formation, a creature, or something else?
(Image source: NASA Spirit Rover)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Why NASA Says That Life Beyond The Earth May Exist In Jupiter's Moon, Europa
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Japan’s Robotic Industry Is On A Rebound
- Sports Drinks Myths: The Truth About Sports Drinks
- Nuclear Attack From Aliens Eradicated Life On Mars, Physicist Claims
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change