Who Is Jenny Johnson? Comedian Gains Twitter Followers After Making Fun Of Chris Brown For Years
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 27, 2012 12:26 PM EST
It’s no surprise that rapper and convicted domestic abuser Chris Brown threw a tantrum on Twitter Monday. Firing off a series of vitriolic and sexually explicit tweets at people who make fun of him is nothing new for him. What his followers, and soon enough the rest of the Internet was probably wondering, though, was just who is this Jenny Johnson person Brown was lobbing his hate at. Oh wait a minute, she’s actually really funny.
Johnson has made a target out of Brown (along with Kim Kardashian and several other polarizing celebrities) since he beat up then-girlfriend Rihanna, leading to a media firestorm that has yet to quell. But the comedian tweets about far more than celebrity drama and is funny enough to have slowly risen through the comedy ranks as she’s picked up more Twitter followers.
Now, Johnson is mentioned in the same breath as new-generation comics like Rob Delaney and Shelby Fero, two former no-names who now frequent the podcast circuit as they hone their standup chops. She also wrote a series of columns for GQ Magazine.
During an interview with Paper Mag Johnson described how she started to further her career as a comedy writer via Twitter in 2009.
“Finally I just started messing around, making fun of how the [mean girls] from high school are becoming soccer moms and are like, ‘Pray for my kid, he has a cold today.’ And I was like, ‘Look, I'm not gonna pray for your kid with the sniffles. Knock it off,’” she said. “People responded to that so then I started writing anything that popped into my twisted little head.”
Before describing how she was able to quit her job to start working on a TV pilot, Johnson was also asked about her tweets regarding Chris Brown, already a favorite target.
“I’m not a fan of Chris Brown's for obvious reasons. Hello, he beat up a girl. And he was so unapologetic about it and then continued to do things that were inappropriate -- like throwing chairs or saying homophobic things to nightclub bouncers,” Johnson said. “He keeps telling people to ‘get over it.’ How do you get over it? Seriously? I saw [a tweet to Brown] that said something like, ‘Why don't I beat the s*** out of your mother and then three years later we'll just forget about it.’ I didn't write that but I thought it was really funny.”
When asked what she would do if she met Brown in person, Johnson replied, “Oh god, I'd probably run for the hills. He replied to a tweet once. I was proud that after six months of harassing the guy, all my hard work paid off.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'