Who Is Jenny Johnson? Comedian Gains Twitter Followers After Making Fun Of Chris Brown For Years
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 27, 2012 12:26 PM EST
It’s no surprise that rapper and convicted domestic abuser Chris Brown threw a tantrum on Twitter Monday. Firing off a series of vitriolic and sexually explicit tweets at people who make fun of him is nothing new for him. What his followers, and soon enough the rest of the Internet was probably wondering, though, was just who is this Jenny Johnson person Brown was lobbing his hate at. Oh wait a minute, she’s actually really funny.
Johnson has made a target out of Brown (along with Kim Kardashian and several other polarizing celebrities) since he beat up then-girlfriend Rihanna, leading to a media firestorm that has yet to quell. But the comedian tweets about far more than celebrity drama and is funny enough to have slowly risen through the comedy ranks as she’s picked up more Twitter followers.
Now, Johnson is mentioned in the same breath as new-generation comics like Rob Delaney and Shelby Fero, two former no-names who now frequent the podcast circuit as they hone their standup chops. She also wrote a series of columns for GQ Magazine.
During an interview with Paper Mag Johnson described how she started to further her career as a comedy writer via Twitter in 2009.
“Finally I just started messing around, making fun of how the [mean girls] from high school are becoming soccer moms and are like, ‘Pray for my kid, he has a cold today.’ And I was like, ‘Look, I'm not gonna pray for your kid with the sniffles. Knock it off,’” she said. “People responded to that so then I started writing anything that popped into my twisted little head.”
Before describing how she was able to quit her job to start working on a TV pilot, Johnson was also asked about her tweets regarding Chris Brown, already a favorite target.
“I’m not a fan of Chris Brown's for obvious reasons. Hello, he beat up a girl. And he was so unapologetic about it and then continued to do things that were inappropriate -- like throwing chairs or saying homophobic things to nightclub bouncers,” Johnson said. “He keeps telling people to ‘get over it.’ How do you get over it? Seriously? I saw [a tweet to Brown] that said something like, ‘Why don't I beat the s*** out of your mother and then three years later we'll just forget about it.’ I didn't write that but I thought it was really funny.”
When asked what she would do if she met Brown in person, Johnson replied, “Oh god, I'd probably run for the hills. He replied to a tweet once. I was proud that after six months of harassing the guy, all my hard work paid off.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored