Ex Deutsche Bank CEO criticizes successor for skipping hearing
November 27, 2012 11:14 AM EST
The former head of Germany's Deutsche Bank
Politicians have already accused Indian-born Jain, who became co-head of Germany's largest bank in June, of "chickening out" by sending his chief compliance officer in his place.
"I always took these tasks upon myself," Ackermann said at a conference organized by business daily Handelsblatt in Frankfurt. "I think that in this instance, it is the boss who belongs on stage," he added, in a rare public comment on his successor.
The European Commission and other international regulators are investigating more than a dozen banks for alleged manipulation of the London interbank offered rate (LIBOR), which is used to set the price of trillions of dollars worth of financial products worldwide.
The Commission has not identified the banks, but sources familiar with the matter have said Deutsche Bank is cooperating with the EU regulator.
Deutsche Bank said in July initial findings from an internal probe into alleged rigging of global interest rates found that no members of the management board behaved inappropriately.
Any banks found guilty of breaching EU antitrust rules could face fines of up to 10 percent of their global revenues.
Deutsche Bank will send Stephan Leithner, head of personnel and compliance, to the November 28 finance committee hearing.
(Reporting By Olaf Zapke, Writing by Sarah Marsh; Editing by Andrew Heavens)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef