Milking Replaces Planking as Latest Internet Craze
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 27, 2012 10:04 AM EST
Milking is the new Internet craze that is now starting to replace online planking, which involved a person lying on streets or other public places face down with their hands by their sides. Planking became an Internet sensation at the start of 2011.
The milking craze began in Newcastle, England. It does not involve squeezing the udders of cows to produce milk, but students and graduates pouring processed milk over their heads while their friends film the event and later on post it on the Internet.
The originators of the craze recalled that it started as a kitchen talk of doing the act outside Starbucks in Jesmond.
"We did that, uploaded the video to Facebook and got a load of likes. So then we thought, Why not just make a video?" the Daily Mail quoted milker Tom Morris.
Since then, their video became viral and other Brits started to copy the milking craze and posted their own versions. There are now versions of milking students at Edinburgh, Nottingham and Circencester.
Mr Morris eventually posted the 2.45 minutes video on YouTube last week and got over 10,000 views within 48 hours of its upload. As of Monday evening, the hits have reached almost 80,000.
The craze expectedly was criticised by certain groups who considered the practice wasteful and stupid. "And some in non-first-world nations would shake their heads at what they'd consider intentional conspicuous waste. Seriously, hungry people have little appreciation for performance art," Digital Journal quoted a comment on Fark.com.
While their comments are valid, perhaps much of the world outside the milk industry is unaware of practices such as pouring on the ground of millions of fresh milk in some rich nations as the dairy producer's way of protesting government policies on milk prices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS