Milking Replaces Planking as Latest Internet Craze
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 27, 2012 10:04 AM EST
Milking is the new Internet craze that is now starting to replace online planking, which involved a person lying on streets or other public places face down with their hands by their sides. Planking became an Internet sensation at the start of 2011.
The milking craze began in Newcastle, England. It does not involve squeezing the udders of cows to produce milk, but students and graduates pouring processed milk over their heads while their friends film the event and later on post it on the Internet.
The originators of the craze recalled that it started as a kitchen talk of doing the act outside Starbucks in Jesmond.
"We did that, uploaded the video to Facebook and got a load of likes. So then we thought, Why not just make a video?" the Daily Mail quoted milker Tom Morris.
Since then, their video became viral and other Brits started to copy the milking craze and posted their own versions. There are now versions of milking students at Edinburgh, Nottingham and Circencester.
Mr Morris eventually posted the 2.45 minutes video on YouTube last week and got over 10,000 views within 48 hours of its upload. As of Monday evening, the hits have reached almost 80,000.
The craze expectedly was criticised by certain groups who considered the practice wasteful and stupid. "And some in non-first-world nations would shake their heads at what they'd consider intentional conspicuous waste. Seriously, hungry people have little appreciation for performance art," Digital Journal quoted a comment on Fark.com.
While their comments are valid, perhaps much of the world outside the milk industry is unaware of practices such as pouring on the ground of millions of fresh milk in some rich nations as the dairy producer's way of protesting government policies on milk prices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date