Smoking More Damaging to Brain than High Blood Pressure, Obesity
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 27, 2012 10:00 AM EST
More evidence continues to be discovered of the dangers of smoking to human health. The latest is a study made by researchers at King's College London that smoking is more dangerous to the brain than high blood pressure and obesity.
The result of the study, released on Monday, was based on a study of 8,800 people over 50 years old. Although lifestyle ailments such as being overweight and having high blood pressure are also contributory to damaging the mind, their impact is lesser, scientists said.
This latest evidence could be tapped by different governments in their national campaigns to cut smoking rate. Australia, for its part, required plain packaging for cigarettes and the publication of graphic warnings of the dangers of the vice.
Among the brain functions that could be damaged by smoking are memory, learning and reasoning. The researchers cited the consistent association between smoking and lower scores in cognitive tests such as learning new works or naming many animals within a minute.
"Cognitive decline becomes more common with ageing and for an increasing number of people interferes with daily functioning and well-being," BBC quoted Dr Akex Dregan, one of the researchers.
"We all know smoking, a high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels and a high BMI (body mass index) is bad for our heart. This research adds to the huge amount of evidence that also suggests they can be bad for our head too," BBC quoted the Alzheimer's Society.
The study was published in the Age and Ageing journal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop