Is Kobe Bryant Dead? Los Angeles Lakers Star is Latest Victim of Celebrity Death Hoax, Reportedly Dies in Car Crash
November 27, 2012 9:42 AM EST
Kobe Bryant may not be dead, but that hasn’t stopped false reports from circulating the internet about his early demise.
The NBA star is the latest victim of a celebrity death hoax. While some false death reports originate on Twitter, Bryant’s started on an entertainment website that presents itself as a legitimate news source.
Global Associated News claimed that Bryant died in a car crash on Monday, Nov. 26. While Bryant is alive and well, the site went into great detail about the fake accident, saying it was a single vehicle crash on Route 80 between Morristown and Roswell. It even said Bryant was driving 40 miles per hour over the speed limit, and he would have to have a closed casket funeral because of injuries he sustained during the accident.
The false report sparked immediate reactions on Twitter, with fans grieving and questioning the loss of the Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard.
“If you believe kobe bryant is dead you a fool,” tweeted @FraserKev.
This isn’t the first time that Global Associated News has falsely reported a celebrity’s death. Recent victims include WWE superstar John Cena, and actors Morgan Freeman and Adam Sandler.
The site is known for creating these false reports. It admits that each story is not real, but does so in such small print at the bottom of the page that it is almost impossible to see.
“FAKE... THIS STORY IS 100% FAKE!” reads the disclaimers in a minuscule seize seven font. “this is an entertainment website, and this is a totally fake article by DownloadNSave">based on zero truth and is a complete work of fiction for entertainment purposes! this story was dynamically generated using a generic 'template' and is not factual. Any reference to specific individuals has been 100% fabricated by web site visitors who have created fake stories by entering a name into a blank 'non-specific' template for the purpose of entertainment.”
At 34 years old, Bryant is healthy and playing basketball at an extremely high level. In his 17th career season, he currently leads the NBA in scoring.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop