Is Kobe Bryant Dead? Los Angeles Lakers Star is Latest Victim of Celebrity Death Hoax, Reportedly Dies in Car Crash
November 27, 2012 9:42 AM EST
Kobe Bryant may not be dead, but that hasn’t stopped false reports from circulating the internet about his early demise.
The NBA star is the latest victim of a celebrity death hoax. While some false death reports originate on Twitter, Bryant’s started on an entertainment website that presents itself as a legitimate news source.
Global Associated News claimed that Bryant died in a car crash on Monday, Nov. 26. While Bryant is alive and well, the site went into great detail about the fake accident, saying it was a single vehicle crash on Route 80 between Morristown and Roswell. It even said Bryant was driving 40 miles per hour over the speed limit, and he would have to have a closed casket funeral because of injuries he sustained during the accident.
The false report sparked immediate reactions on Twitter, with fans grieving and questioning the loss of the Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard.
“If you believe kobe bryant is dead you a fool,” tweeted @FraserKev.
This isn’t the first time that Global Associated News has falsely reported a celebrity’s death. Recent victims include WWE superstar John Cena, and actors Morgan Freeman and Adam Sandler.
The site is known for creating these false reports. It admits that each story is not real, but does so in such small print at the bottom of the page that it is almost impossible to see.
“FAKE... THIS STORY IS 100% FAKE!” reads the disclaimers in a minuscule seize seven font. “this is an entertainment website, and this is a totally fake article by DownloadNSave">based on zero truth and is a complete work of fiction for entertainment purposes! this story was dynamically generated using a generic 'template' and is not factual. Any reference to specific individuals has been 100% fabricated by web site visitors who have created fake stories by entering a name into a blank 'non-specific' template for the purpose of entertainment.”
At 34 years old, Bryant is healthy and playing basketball at an extremely high level. In his 17th career season, he currently leads the NBA in scoring.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation