Trucker Jabin Bogan Freed From Mexican Jail After Wrong Turn Almost Put Him In Prison For 25 Years
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 27, 2012 8:20 AM EST
Sighs of relief must have been audible throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport over the weekend when a trucker who was detained after making a wrong turn into Mexico was released from prison.
Jabin Bogan was greeted by his family for the first time since April, when he was arrested and charged with smuggling after accidentally carrying cargo meant for a Phoenix gun shop across the border, according to ABC News. Firearm restrictions are much tighter in Mexico than in the United States.
Bogan was arrested while trying to re-enter the U.S. at a stop near El Paso, Texas, with 268,000 rounds of ammunition in the back of his truck, which drew the scrutiny of Mexican officials.
“He told me he was coming from the warehouse, missed a turn, and was stuck one-way going south,” said Denis Mekenye, Bogan’s boss at the Demco Express trucking company. “At that point he asked a cop how to make a U-turn and was told to go three or four miles, but at that point was in Mexico.”
Bogan, if convicted, would have been looking at a maximum of 25 years in prison.
ABC affiliate WFAA reported the emotional reunion was made possible because Bogan’s mother paid a fine, springing him from the Mexican lockup Friday.
“My son, that's my motivation,” Jabin said, quoting his mother. “That kept me going every day. My mama is my strength -- without my mama I would be nowhere now. My family is my pride and joy.
“I want to say God is good, man. God has blessed me.”
Bogan, 27, was arrested just hundreds of feet away from a sign that read “No More Weapons” and he told the Associated Press it was hard to keep faith while he was behind bars, uncertain of his fate.
“Some days I gave up hope. Some days I felt like God was, to be honest in my heart, like God was laughing,” he said. “Like he was just punishing me for no reason. I felt like just giving up.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal