Trucker Jabin Bogan Freed From Mexican Jail After Wrong Turn Almost Put Him In Prison For 25 Years
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 27, 2012 8:20 AM EST
Sighs of relief must have been audible throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport over the weekend when a trucker who was detained after making a wrong turn into Mexico was released from prison.
Jabin Bogan was greeted by his family for the first time since April, when he was arrested and charged with smuggling after accidentally carrying cargo meant for a Phoenix gun shop across the border, according to ABC News. Firearm restrictions are much tighter in Mexico than in the United States.
Bogan was arrested while trying to re-enter the U.S. at a stop near El Paso, Texas, with 268,000 rounds of ammunition in the back of his truck, which drew the scrutiny of Mexican officials.
“He told me he was coming from the warehouse, missed a turn, and was stuck one-way going south,” said Denis Mekenye, Bogan’s boss at the Demco Express trucking company. “At that point he asked a cop how to make a U-turn and was told to go three or four miles, but at that point was in Mexico.”
Bogan, if convicted, would have been looking at a maximum of 25 years in prison.
ABC affiliate WFAA reported the emotional reunion was made possible because Bogan’s mother paid a fine, springing him from the Mexican lockup Friday.
“My son, that's my motivation,” Jabin said, quoting his mother. “That kept me going every day. My mama is my strength -- without my mama I would be nowhere now. My family is my pride and joy.
“I want to say God is good, man. God has blessed me.”
Bogan, 27, was arrested just hundreds of feet away from a sign that read “No More Weapons” and he told the Associated Press it was hard to keep faith while he was behind bars, uncertain of his fate.
“Some days I gave up hope. Some days I felt like God was, to be honest in my heart, like God was laughing,” he said. “Like he was just punishing me for no reason. I felt like just giving up.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports