Precious Metals Mixed, Gold, Silver Shares Pare Losses
By jturbin | November 27, 2012 7:29 AM EST
Gold and silver futures swung between positive and negative territory on Monday amid a relatively quiet start to the week for precious metals. The stability in gold and silver coincided with tepid activity in the U.S. dollar, which held near unchanged against a composite of foreign currencies including the euro, yen, and pound.
COMEX gold futures – per the December contract – settled lower by $1.80, or 0.1%, at $1,749.60 per ounce. COMEX silver futures for December delivery inched up by $0.02, or 0.1%, to $34.14 per ounce.
As for gold and silver stocks, the sector tracked the broader equity market indices. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) fell by as much as 1.9% to 171.03 this morning, but later recouped for than half its loss and was lower by only 0.7% at 173.14 this afternoon.
(See the top 10 ranked gold and silver stocks at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com)
Notable XAU components underperforming the index included Goldcorp (GG) and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI) – which dropped by 1.2% to $40.87 and by 1.1% to $14.07 per share, respectively.
Alternatively, Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM) advanced by 0.8% to $56.91 while Harmony Gold (HMY) rose by 0.9% to 48.22 per share.
The S&P 500 Index pared its decline as well, rising from an intra-day low of 1,397.68 to trade down by only 0.4% at 1,404.10 this afternoon.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install