Precious Metals Mixed, Gold, Silver Shares Pare Losses
By jturbin | November 27, 2012 7:29 AM EST
Gold and silver futures swung between positive and negative territory on Monday amid a relatively quiet start to the week for precious metals. The stability in gold and silver coincided with tepid activity in the U.S. dollar, which held near unchanged against a composite of foreign currencies including the euro, yen, and pound.
COMEX gold futures – per the December contract – settled lower by $1.80, or 0.1%, at $1,749.60 per ounce. COMEX silver futures for December delivery inched up by $0.02, or 0.1%, to $34.14 per ounce.
As for gold and silver stocks, the sector tracked the broader equity market indices. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) fell by as much as 1.9% to 171.03 this morning, but later recouped for than half its loss and was lower by only 0.7% at 173.14 this afternoon.
(See the top 10 ranked gold and silver stocks at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com)
Notable XAU components underperforming the index included Goldcorp (GG) and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI) – which dropped by 1.2% to $40.87 and by 1.1% to $14.07 per share, respectively.
Alternatively, Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM) advanced by 0.8% to $56.91 while Harmony Gold (HMY) rose by 0.9% to 48.22 per share.
The S&P 500 Index pared its decline as well, rising from an intra-day low of 1,397.68 to trade down by only 0.4% at 1,404.10 this afternoon.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports