Precious Metals Mixed, Gold, Silver Shares Pare Losses
By jturbin | November 27, 2012 7:29 AM EST
Gold and silver futures swung between positive and negative territory on Monday amid a relatively quiet start to the week for precious metals. The stability in gold and silver coincided with tepid activity in the U.S. dollar, which held near unchanged against a composite of foreign currencies including the euro, yen, and pound.
COMEX gold futures – per the December contract – settled lower by $1.80, or 0.1%, at $1,749.60 per ounce. COMEX silver futures for December delivery inched up by $0.02, or 0.1%, to $34.14 per ounce.
As for gold and silver stocks, the sector tracked the broader equity market indices. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) fell by as much as 1.9% to 171.03 this morning, but later recouped for than half its loss and was lower by only 0.7% at 173.14 this afternoon.
(See the top 10 ranked gold and silver stocks at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com)
Notable XAU components underperforming the index included Goldcorp (GG) and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI) – which dropped by 1.2% to $40.87 and by 1.1% to $14.07 per share, respectively.
Alternatively, Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM) advanced by 0.8% to $56.91 while Harmony Gold (HMY) rose by 0.9% to 48.22 per share.
The S&P 500 Index pared its decline as well, rising from an intra-day low of 1,397.68 to trade down by only 0.4% at 1,404.10 this afternoon.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How