Precious Metals Mixed, Gold, Silver Shares Pare Losses
By jturbin | November 27, 2012 7:29 AM EST
Gold and silver futures swung between positive and negative territory on Monday amid a relatively quiet start to the week for precious metals. The stability in gold and silver coincided with tepid activity in the U.S. dollar, which held near unchanged against a composite of foreign currencies including the euro, yen, and pound.
COMEX gold futures – per the December contract – settled lower by $1.80, or 0.1%, at $1,749.60 per ounce. COMEX silver futures for December delivery inched up by $0.02, or 0.1%, to $34.14 per ounce.
As for gold and silver stocks, the sector tracked the broader equity market indices. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) fell by as much as 1.9% to 171.03 this morning, but later recouped for than half its loss and was lower by only 0.7% at 173.14 this afternoon.
(See the top 10 ranked gold and silver stocks at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com)
Notable XAU components underperforming the index included Goldcorp (GG) and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI) – which dropped by 1.2% to $40.87 and by 1.1% to $14.07 per share, respectively.
Alternatively, Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM) advanced by 0.8% to $56.91 while Harmony Gold (HMY) rose by 0.9% to 48.22 per share.
The S&P 500 Index pared its decline as well, rising from an intra-day low of 1,397.68 to trade down by only 0.4% at 1,404.10 this afternoon.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles