Andrew WK Says US Government Appointed Him 'Cultural Ambassador Of Partying' To Middle East; State Dept Disagrees
By Jeff Stone | November 27, 2012 7:51 AM EST
Andrew WK is trying to expand on his title as the hardest-partying man in show business by bringing his energy and “pure fun” life outlook to perhaps the least fun part of the world. The rocker, who released his debut album, “I Get Wet,” in 2001, took to his blog last week to announce he would be visiting Bahrain on behalf of the United States government, something the U.S. Department of State first confirmed before backing off from the idea Monday.
“This is a tremendous invitation. I'm very thankful to the Department of State for giving me the opportunity to visit a place I've never been before,” the rocker behind songs like “Party Til You Puke” and “Party Hard” wrote last week. “And I feel very privileged and humbled by the chance to represent the United States of America and show the good people of Bahrain the power of positive partying. I can hardly wait for this adventure!”
The state department was scant on the exact reasoning behind its decision to cancel Andrew WK’s trip as “Cultural Ambassador of Partying” was scant, but a spokesperson did tell Bokelyn.com the plans were called off: “Andrew WK had been invited by the U.S. Embassy in Bahrain to be part of a cultural speakers program, but, upon further review, the program was canceled, because it did not meet the standards of the State Department.”
Bahrain is not far removed from a revolutionary war.
State Department representatives later denied any knowledge of Andrew WK. When asked Monday on his website if he would still be making the trip to advocate partying, WK responded with “I don’t have the ability to answer that right at this moment but check back soon and keep partying.”
He didn’t seem hesitant on Twitter, though, saying Monday, “It is not fake! I really am going there to party!”
It may seem irresponsible for the U.S. government to send the hardest partying man in show business overseas as a representative, but his fans would be quick to cite the charity and child advocacy work Andrew WK has done during his career. He has been involved in the Global Angels children charity and a vocal member of the organization’s International Advisory Board.
The piano-playing headbanger has flown under the radar with MTV audiences but has slowly built up a sizable following because of songs like “Party Hard,” “We Want Fun” and “Long Live The Party” and an intense stage presence fueled by his white T-shirt and white jeans outfit.
Two years ago, Gawker published a report speculating that Andrew WK is less of a person and more a figment of his own performance art. The article, and response, led to a slew of conspiracy theories and philosophical arguments about what qualifies as a hoax in pop culture.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine