Andrew WK Says US Government Appointed Him 'Cultural Ambassador Of Partying' To Middle East; State Dept Disagrees
By Jeff Stone | November 27, 2012 7:51 AM EST
Andrew WK is trying to expand on his title as the hardest-partying man in show business by bringing his energy and “pure fun” life outlook to perhaps the least fun part of the world. The rocker, who released his debut album, “I Get Wet,” in 2001, took to his blog last week to announce he would be visiting Bahrain on behalf of the United States government, something the U.S. Department of State first confirmed before backing off from the idea Monday.
“This is a tremendous invitation. I'm very thankful to the Department of State for giving me the opportunity to visit a place I've never been before,” the rocker behind songs like “Party Til You Puke” and “Party Hard” wrote last week. “And I feel very privileged and humbled by the chance to represent the United States of America and show the good people of Bahrain the power of positive partying. I can hardly wait for this adventure!”
The state department was scant on the exact reasoning behind its decision to cancel Andrew WK’s trip as “Cultural Ambassador of Partying” was scant, but a spokesperson did tell Bokelyn.com the plans were called off: “Andrew WK had been invited by the U.S. Embassy in Bahrain to be part of a cultural speakers program, but, upon further review, the program was canceled, because it did not meet the standards of the State Department.”
Bahrain is not far removed from a revolutionary war.
State Department representatives later denied any knowledge of Andrew WK. When asked Monday on his website if he would still be making the trip to advocate partying, WK responded with “I don’t have the ability to answer that right at this moment but check back soon and keep partying.”
He didn’t seem hesitant on Twitter, though, saying Monday, “It is not fake! I really am going there to party!”
It may seem irresponsible for the U.S. government to send the hardest partying man in show business overseas as a representative, but his fans would be quick to cite the charity and child advocacy work Andrew WK has done during his career. He has been involved in the Global Angels children charity and a vocal member of the organization’s International Advisory Board.
The piano-playing headbanger has flown under the radar with MTV audiences but has slowly built up a sizable following because of songs like “Party Hard,” “We Want Fun” and “Long Live The Party” and an intense stage presence fueled by his white T-shirt and white jeans outfit.
Two years ago, Gawker published a report speculating that Andrew WK is less of a person and more a figment of his own performance art. The article, and response, led to a slew of conspiracy theories and philosophical arguments about what qualifies as a hoax in pop culture.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks