Andrew WK Says US Government Appointed Him 'Cultural Ambassador Of Partying' To Middle East; State Dept Disagrees
By Jeff Stone | November 27, 2012 7:51 AM EST
Andrew WK is trying to expand on his title as the hardest-partying man in show business by bringing his energy and “pure fun” life outlook to perhaps the least fun part of the world. The rocker, who released his debut album, “I Get Wet,” in 2001, took to his blog last week to announce he would be visiting Bahrain on behalf of the United States government, something the U.S. Department of State first confirmed before backing off from the idea Monday.
“This is a tremendous invitation. I'm very thankful to the Department of State for giving me the opportunity to visit a place I've never been before,” the rocker behind songs like “Party Til You Puke” and “Party Hard” wrote last week. “And I feel very privileged and humbled by the chance to represent the United States of America and show the good people of Bahrain the power of positive partying. I can hardly wait for this adventure!”
The state department was scant on the exact reasoning behind its decision to cancel Andrew WK’s trip as “Cultural Ambassador of Partying” was scant, but a spokesperson did tell Bokelyn.com the plans were called off: “Andrew WK had been invited by the U.S. Embassy in Bahrain to be part of a cultural speakers program, but, upon further review, the program was canceled, because it did not meet the standards of the State Department.”
Bahrain is not far removed from a revolutionary war.
State Department representatives later denied any knowledge of Andrew WK. When asked Monday on his website if he would still be making the trip to advocate partying, WK responded with “I don’t have the ability to answer that right at this moment but check back soon and keep partying.”
He didn’t seem hesitant on Twitter, though, saying Monday, “It is not fake! I really am going there to party!”
It may seem irresponsible for the U.S. government to send the hardest partying man in show business overseas as a representative, but his fans would be quick to cite the charity and child advocacy work Andrew WK has done during his career. He has been involved in the Global Angels children charity and a vocal member of the organization’s International Advisory Board.
The piano-playing headbanger has flown under the radar with MTV audiences but has slowly built up a sizable following because of songs like “Party Hard,” “We Want Fun” and “Long Live The Party” and an intense stage presence fueled by his white T-shirt and white jeans outfit.
Two years ago, Gawker published a report speculating that Andrew WK is less of a person and more a figment of his own performance art. The article, and response, led to a slew of conspiracy theories and philosophical arguments about what qualifies as a hoax in pop culture.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam Heartbroken about Walking Away from Fifty Shades of Grey [VIDEO]
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Official Trailer Released Plus Premiere Date, Spoilers: Gun Battle, Zombies, Beth Greene [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]