Dubai to Build World’s Biggest Mall and 100 Hotels in New Desert City
By Toyin Owoseje | November 27, 2012 5:11 AM EST
Dubai's ruler has announced plans to build a new city on the capital's desert outskirts which will feature up to 100 hotels, a Universal Studios entertainment centre and the largest shopping mall in the world.
According to Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, it is hoped that the development will help stimulate Dubai's economy.
The move comes three years after several multibillion dollar projects were halted when the global credit crunch drove down property values in the emirate by 65 percent. The economic downturn caused companies to suspend construction of hundreds of developments.
"The current facilities available in Dubai need to be scaled up in line with the future ambitions for the city," Sheikh Mohammed said.
He insisted that the city had revived its dream of becoming "the capital of entrepreneurship, arts, culture and family tourism for over two billion people".
The expansion, Mohammed bin Rashid City, will also include a public park 30 percent larger than London's Hyde Park, art galleries and golf courses. It will be built by Emaar Properties.
Mohammed bin Rashid City's "Mall of the World" is expected to welcome up to 80 million visitors a year. It will dethrone the current record holder, the Dubai Mall.
The UAE's second-largest emirate is already home to the world's tallest building, largest man-made island and most expensive hotel.
Experts say the project will cost £17bn.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone