Dubai to Build World’s Biggest Mall and 100 Hotels in New Desert City
By Toyin Owoseje | November 27, 2012 5:11 AM EST
Dubai's ruler has announced plans to build a new city on the capital's desert outskirts which will feature up to 100 hotels, a Universal Studios entertainment centre and the largest shopping mall in the world.
According to Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, it is hoped that the development will help stimulate Dubai's economy.
The move comes three years after several multibillion dollar projects were halted when the global credit crunch drove down property values in the emirate by 65 percent. The economic downturn caused companies to suspend construction of hundreds of developments.
"The current facilities available in Dubai need to be scaled up in line with the future ambitions for the city," Sheikh Mohammed said.
He insisted that the city had revived its dream of becoming "the capital of entrepreneurship, arts, culture and family tourism for over two billion people".
The expansion, Mohammed bin Rashid City, will also include a public park 30 percent larger than London's Hyde Park, art galleries and golf courses. It will be built by Emaar Properties.
Mohammed bin Rashid City's "Mall of the World" is expected to welcome up to 80 million visitors a year. It will dethrone the current record holder, the Dubai Mall.
The UAE's second-largest emirate is already home to the world's tallest building, largest man-made island and most expensive hotel.
Experts say the project will cost £17bn.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged