Dubai to Build World’s Biggest Mall and 100 Hotels in New Desert City
By Toyin Owoseje | November 27, 2012 5:11 AM EST
Dubai's ruler has announced plans to build a new city on the capital's desert outskirts which will feature up to 100 hotels, a Universal Studios entertainment centre and the largest shopping mall in the world.
According to Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, it is hoped that the development will help stimulate Dubai's economy.
The move comes three years after several multibillion dollar projects were halted when the global credit crunch drove down property values in the emirate by 65 percent. The economic downturn caused companies to suspend construction of hundreds of developments.
"The current facilities available in Dubai need to be scaled up in line with the future ambitions for the city," Sheikh Mohammed said.
He insisted that the city had revived its dream of becoming "the capital of entrepreneurship, arts, culture and family tourism for over two billion people".
The expansion, Mohammed bin Rashid City, will also include a public park 30 percent larger than London's Hyde Park, art galleries and golf courses. It will be built by Emaar Properties.
Mohammed bin Rashid City's "Mall of the World" is expected to welcome up to 80 million visitors a year. It will dethrone the current record holder, the Dubai Mall.
The UAE's second-largest emirate is already home to the world's tallest building, largest man-made island and most expensive hotel.
Experts say the project will cost £17bn.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Sees Biggest After-Earnings Move; Share Price To Reach 3-Digit Mark
- Medibank IPO Seeks To Raise $4.8B Capital, Biggest Share Launch In Asia For 2014
- 65 Deaths In 1 Year Make Jobs In Transport & Storage Sector Most Dangerous In Australia
- Porsche, Pope, Sistine Chapel and The Godfather
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar