Super-Sub Chicharito Has Cemented His Place In United's Future
By Vanessa Keller | November 27, 2012 1:01 AM EST
When Sir Alex Ferguson purchased Robin van Persie in the summer, Javier Hernandez looked to have a struggle in front of him to maintain any place in the Manchester United manager's plans for the season.
Ferguson insisted that he would not be sold, despite having a seemingly disappointing follow-up season to his brilliant debut, in which he was compared to the likes of Ruud van Nistelrooy and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
On closer inspection, Hernandez had a similar follow-up season to his first one; whilst in the 2010-11 campaign the Mexico international started 15 times in the league, in 2011-12 he started 18 times, and while in the former he scored 13 goals, in the latter he found the net 10 times.
In his second season, he started 64% of his 28 total Premier League appearances, an increase from the first in which he started 55% of the time. While Ferguson may have been taking him in the direction of becoming a starting striker, with the aquisition of van Persie that's no longer necessary, and he can leave Hernandez to do what he does best and score off the bench.
Despite the lack of appearances so far (two league starts and seven subs), Hernandez has scored five goals so far in this campaign, putting his appearance to goal ratio in very good esteem as the season kicks into full gear.
And the 24 year old's ability to come off the bench and frustrate a tiring opposition has given him a place that's unique from Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney, as well as promising youngster and England striker Danny Welbeck.
Throughout the summer, Hernandez continually justified his position in the United squad, while reports circulated that Chelsea had made their interest clear in the striker.
He would be perfect for the Chelsea line-up at present, as Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge continue to misfire. A hole left by Didier Drogba is still causing problems up front, with a top-class midfield who seem like they have nowhere to pass the ball when they go forward.
But Ferguson said no to a deal, and even after Hernandez had scored just once in eight matches at the start of the season, the Scot persevered with his £6 million purchase.
Seven goals in the proceeding five games have proven to be game changing on more than one occasion; Hernandez's brace in United's 3-2 win over Braga; his (albeit controversial) goal against Chelsea to seal a 3-2 win; and his brace which was to some a hat-trick against Villa to win 3-2; have proven just how important he will be to the side's fight for trophies.
Last season, United bowed out of the Champions League group stages and lost the title on goal difference.
This time around, partly thanks to Hernandez's goals in the European competition, they had a dead rubber game in their final group stage match which Ferguson could use to experiment with younger players. And whether goal difference or points are the difference in the title chase this time around, the Mexican has certainly found the form to contribute to both factors.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies