L'Oreal buys Urban Decay to beef up young, prestige offering
November 26, 2012 11:21 PM EST
French cosmetics maker L'Oreal
L'Oreal did not say how much it paid for California-based Urban Decay, which was created in 1996 by make-up expert Wende Zomnir and had sales of $130 million in its fiscal year ended June 2012.
Liberum Capital analyst Pablo Zuanic welcomed the deal, which he pegged at about $250-300 million or slightly more than 2 times sales.
Urban Decay is "exactly the type of brand L'Oreal needs to beef up its make-up portfolio in the prestige channel," he said in a note.
The market for specialist make-up brands represents 44 percent of the luxury cosmetics market in the United States.
(Reporting by Dominique Vidalon; Editing by Helen Massy-Beresford)
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge