Indian Dietetic Association To Hold Golden Jubilee Celebration On Nov 29
By ambrosia sabrina | November 26, 2012 7:13 PM EST
The Indian Dietetic Association (IDA) will hold a three-day Golden Jubilee Conference in association with the National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) in Hyderabad.
The theme for this year's conference, which will begin Nov 29, is "Indian diets and health: In retrospect and prospect". The conference will include plenary lectures, oral presentations, poster sessions and workshops on nutritional edpidemology, duet survey, research, entrepreneurship in nutrition and diabetics and other topics, the official website stated.
Medals would also be awarded to those who show excellece in the field of nutrition. Among the awards are the K.G. Naidu Medical Trust Award for therapeutic nutrition, J.N. Bose Memorial Award for community nutrition, Sagarmal Goenka Award for experimental nutrition, A.N. Radha Award for best paper from practicing dietician and IDA Presindent's Award for the poster session.
The IDA was founded in 1963, by a group of like-minded nutritionists, dietitians and workers in the allied health fields seeking to highlight the importance of dietetics and nutrition in the maintenance of health, and in the prevention and treatment of diseases. Professor Kalyan Bagchi was the organization's first secretary and Dr C. Gopalan served as its president. The association, with its headquarters in Kolkatta, was affiliated to the International congress of Dietetics in 1975.
NIN Director Dr B. Sesikeran told The Hindu that IDA is planning to set up a special council that would oversee the standards and guidelines for those in the profession.
"This body could be made responsible for overseeing nutrition and dietetics education across the country and function on the lines of the Medical Council of India," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Kids Whose Parents Went To College Eat Healthier, Study Finds
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Says In New Book That Meditation and Yoga Can Make You Rich
- Australia Hits An All-Time High With Cases Of Syphilis
- 5 Countries That Make The Best Beer
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation