England Level Series With Emphatic Win
By Vishnuprasad S | November 26, 2012 6:04 PM EST
England beat India by 10 wickets in the second Test at the to level the four-match series 1-1Wankhede stadium in Mumbai.
India, who started the fourth day on 117/7, could only add 25 runs to their total, as the visitors took the remaining three wickets in quick time. Monty Panesar finished with a career-best match haul of 11/210. England were then set a paltry target of 57 to win the match and openers Alastair Cook (18 not out) and Nick Compton (30 not out) achieved that in just 10 overs.
The triumph was a thoroughly deserved one for England, who responded well after losing the toss. Following India's nine-wicket win in the first Test, MS Dhoni backed his spinners and batsmen to inflict another crushing defeat on the visitors on a spin-friendly pitch but Cook had other plans. For England, this win comes six years after they won at the same venue, which was incidentally the last Test India lost at home, despite winning the toss.
Earlier in the day, India was bowled out for 142 runs as Panesar took six wickets, while Greame Swann had four to his name, leaving the English spinners with 19 of the 20 wickets in the match. Opener Gautam Gambhir, who was the last man out in India's second innings, was the hosts' top scorer with 65.
Cook and Compton overhauled the target with ease to complete the visitors' domination in conditions tailor-made for the hosts' spinners. The winning runs of the remarkable victory came through four byes off Ravichandran Ashwin, triggering scenes of jubilation in the England dressing room.
Kevin Pietersen was adjudged Man of the Match for his spectacular knock of 186, which helped England post a first innings lead of 86. The third Test will begin on 5 December at Eden Gardens in Kolkata.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?