Lynas Malaysian Plant Protesters End 13-Day March in Kuala Lumpur
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 26, 2012 5:46 PM EST
Some 10,000 protesters opposed to the presence of the rare earths processing plant by Australian miner Lynas Corp in Kuantan, Malaysia had ended their 13-day protest march in Kuala Lumpur, arriving in the Malaysian capital on Sunday.
Walking barefoot, the protesters walked a total of 300 kilometers from Kuantan in the state of Pahang where the refinery is located way up to the Kuala Lumpur in Independent Square. It was organized by environmental activist group Himpunan Hijau, which have been openly vocal against the plant's construction since two years ago.
"We hope the government can hear his people's voices. I believe they can't handle any untoward consequences. Advanced countries like Japan couldn't handle (radiation-related disasters), let alone Malaysia," Andrew Lim, one of the demonstrators, was quoted as saying by Xinhua News.
Wearing coloured green shirts, the protesters were greeted by hundreds of police and were prevented from entering the landmark Independent Square. In response, they said they would camp on the site till Monday morning unless a government official talks to them and listens to their demands.
"Why would I not protest if it is health hazardous? I consider our protest successful because we managed to persuade more people to be on our side but I am heartbroken at the same time that while we were walking a long way, Lynas were secretly transporting the raw materials to its plant. It was a tough journey as hundreds of us were forced to share a toilet and brace the storm, trying our best to cancel the plant but Lynas got away with it," Too Ya Mei, a Kuantan resident, was quoted by www.globaltimes.cn.
The rare earths processing plant, operated by Lynas Corp., has already received its first shipment of rare earth concentrates. Due to start operations in December, it is to start generating revenue for the company in the first quarter of 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Amazon Announces 7 New Kindles: Upgraded Amazon 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDX Available Now On Pre-order