Liverpool Transfer Rumour: Rodgers Wants Argentine Striker
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | November 26, 2012 4:58 PM EST
Liverpool and Stoke City have both been linked to Lazio's Argentinean striker Mauro Zarate. The 25 year old forward joined the Serie A club in 2008 as a loan signing from Qatari club Al-Sadd and made his transfer to the Stadio Olimpico a permanent one at the end of the season. Since then, he has made over 100 league appearances for the Rome club, scoring 25 goals and providing 19 assists.
However, the South American has had a difficult season so far and has made just one start for the club in the 2012/13 Serie A campaign, having failed to dislodge veteran German international Miroslav Klose from the starting line-up.
The Mirror reports the Reds, who are hunting for a striker to ease goal-scoring burdens on Uruguayan Luis Suarez, may be able to persuade Vladimir Petković's side into parting with the player for around €10m (approximately £8m). However, Brendan Rodgers will have to move quickly for Spanish side Malaga and Russians Spartak Moscow are also believed to be interested in the striker.
It should help the Anfield club, though, that Zarate would favour a move to Italy and that the club have already negotiated once, albeit unsuccessfully, with Lazio for his services. The two clubs failed to agree a terms for a loan deal last season, after which Zarate was loaned to Inter Milan for the year.
Rodgers, who saw his new club held to a goalless stalemate on his return to the Liberty Stadium to play ex-club Swansea City, has three senior strikers on the club's books. But two of them are presently unavailable - summer signing Fabio Borini is recovering from a fractured foot and is unlikely to return to full fitness before the end of January 2013 and England international Andy Carroll is on loan with newly promoted Premier League club West Ham United.
This leaves only Suarez up front, with youngsters like Raheem Sterling, Dani Pachecho, Suso and Samid Yesil all having to play their parts in the absence of a more balanced squad. The Reds have also been linked with Bundesliga club Schalke 04's German teenager Donis Avdijaj in recent days.
A move for Zarate will have the additional benefit of signing a player who has experience of the Premier League and English football. The Argentinean spent five months on loan with Birmingham City during the 2007/08 season, making 14 appearances and scoring four times in the period. Alex McLeish, the manager of the Blues at the time, was full of praise for Zarate.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]