GSK To Raise Stake In India Unit In $939 Million Deal
November 26, 2012 4:31 PM EST
GlaxoSmithKline Plc (GSK.L) plans to buy up to an additional 31.8 percent stake in its Indian consumer products arm GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd (GLSM.NS) for 52.2 billion rupees, sending shares of the Indian unit to a record high.
GlaxoSmithKline plans to raise its stake in GSK Consumer Healthcare to 75 percent from 43.2 percent, paying 3,900 rupees per share through an open offer, it said in a statement. The price represents a premium of 28 percent to the stock's Friday close.
The offer period is expected to begin in January 2013.
"This transaction represents a further step in GSK's strategy to invest in the world's fastest growing markets and, we believe, offers a liquidity opportunity at an attractive premium for existing shareholders," said David Redfern, chief strategy officer at GlaxoSmithKline.
Shares in GSK Consumer Healthcare were locked at 3,659.20 rupees, up 20 percent, their maximum daily trading limit, while the Mumbai market was up 0.23 percent, by 9:17 a.m.
Securities regulations in India require a minimum public shareholding of 25 percent for a company to maintain a public listing.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions