GSK To Raise Stake In India Unit In $939 Million Deal
November 26, 2012 4:31 PM EST
GlaxoSmithKline Plc (GSK.L) plans to buy up to an additional 31.8 percent stake in its Indian consumer products arm GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd (GLSM.NS) for 52.2 billion rupees, sending shares of the Indian unit to a record high.
GlaxoSmithKline plans to raise its stake in GSK Consumer Healthcare to 75 percent from 43.2 percent, paying 3,900 rupees per share through an open offer, it said in a statement. The price represents a premium of 28 percent to the stock's Friday close.
The offer period is expected to begin in January 2013.
"This transaction represents a further step in GSK's strategy to invest in the world's fastest growing markets and, we believe, offers a liquidity opportunity at an attractive premium for existing shareholders," said David Redfern, chief strategy officer at GlaxoSmithKline.
Shares in GSK Consumer Healthcare were locked at 3,659.20 rupees, up 20 percent, their maximum daily trading limit, while the Mumbai market was up 0.23 percent, by 9:17 a.m.
Securities regulations in India require a minimum public shareholding of 25 percent for a company to maintain a public listing.
Join the Conversation
- Hungry Jack’s Joins McDonald’s Australia Monopoly Campaign With McOpoly Promo
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Surge Expected Soon as Analysts Predict iPhone Opening Weekend Sales
- Furore Over Facebook Mark Zuckerberg $10m Fortress In San Francisco
- Alibaba Sells Extra Shares; IPO Raises $25B, Breaks Global Record
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed