Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/26/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 26, 2012 1:19 PM EST
Local stocks are underperforming Wall Street in the early session, with investor apathy appearing to be at play. Despite predictions our market would rise by around 0.7pct today, at lunchtime in the East the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is firmer by just 6.3pts or 0.1pct to 4437.8.
Mining stocks are well supported, thanks to gains in commodity prices on Friday. The spot iron ore price rose 0.2pct to US$118.90 a barrel, with Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) the best performer on the ASX 50 in the early session, firmer by 2.6pct to $2.77. BHP Billiton (BHP) has gained 0.5pct to $33.93 while Rio Tinto (RIO) is up 0.4pct to $57.43.
Healthcare stocks are under pressure, a victim of the high Australian dollar. Shares in CSL Limited (CSL) have fallen 1.1pct to $46.86 while hearing implant maker Cochlear (COH) is weaker by 0.5pct to $74.33.
Rural lender Bendigo and Adelaide Bank (BEN) has entered an agreement to buy regional financial company Southern Finance Group for $290 million. Southern Finance offers services in western Victoria and South Australia. The acquisition is expected to be completed by the end of the year. BEN shares are firmer by 0.5pct to $7.86.
Embattled TV station Network Ten (TEN) is reportedly lowering its advertising costs. Shares in the network are down 3,3pct to $0.295.
The Australian dollar is well supported, worth US104.58c, £0.6523 and €80.67c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Join the Conversation
- While Asian Property Markets Are Cooling, 92% Of Philippine Real Estate Agents & Brokers Are Positive About Next 12 Months
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday November 28, 2014
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones