Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/26/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 26, 2012 1:19 PM EST
Local stocks are underperforming Wall Street in the early session, with investor apathy appearing to be at play. Despite predictions our market would rise by around 0.7pct today, at lunchtime in the East the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is firmer by just 6.3pts or 0.1pct to 4437.8.
Mining stocks are well supported, thanks to gains in commodity prices on Friday. The spot iron ore price rose 0.2pct to US$118.90 a barrel, with Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) the best performer on the ASX 50 in the early session, firmer by 2.6pct to $2.77. BHP Billiton (BHP) has gained 0.5pct to $33.93 while Rio Tinto (RIO) is up 0.4pct to $57.43.
Healthcare stocks are under pressure, a victim of the high Australian dollar. Shares in CSL Limited (CSL) have fallen 1.1pct to $46.86 while hearing implant maker Cochlear (COH) is weaker by 0.5pct to $74.33.
Rural lender Bendigo and Adelaide Bank (BEN) has entered an agreement to buy regional financial company Southern Finance Group for $290 million. Southern Finance offers services in western Victoria and South Australia. The acquisition is expected to be completed by the end of the year. BEN shares are firmer by 0.5pct to $7.86.
Embattled TV station Network Ten (TEN) is reportedly lowering its advertising costs. Shares in the network are down 3,3pct to $0.295.
The Australian dollar is well supported, worth US104.58c, £0.6523 and €80.67c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 17, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election