Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/26/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 26, 2012 1:19 PM EST
Local stocks are underperforming Wall Street in the early session, with investor apathy appearing to be at play. Despite predictions our market would rise by around 0.7pct today, at lunchtime in the East the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is firmer by just 6.3pts or 0.1pct to 4437.8.
Mining stocks are well supported, thanks to gains in commodity prices on Friday. The spot iron ore price rose 0.2pct to US$118.90 a barrel, with Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) the best performer on the ASX 50 in the early session, firmer by 2.6pct to $2.77. BHP Billiton (BHP) has gained 0.5pct to $33.93 while Rio Tinto (RIO) is up 0.4pct to $57.43.
Healthcare stocks are under pressure, a victim of the high Australian dollar. Shares in CSL Limited (CSL) have fallen 1.1pct to $46.86 while hearing implant maker Cochlear (COH) is weaker by 0.5pct to $74.33.
Rural lender Bendigo and Adelaide Bank (BEN) has entered an agreement to buy regional financial company Southern Finance Group for $290 million. Southern Finance offers services in western Victoria and South Australia. The acquisition is expected to be completed by the end of the year. BEN shares are firmer by 0.5pct to $7.86.
Embattled TV station Network Ten (TEN) is reportedly lowering its advertising costs. Shares in the network are down 3,3pct to $0.295.
The Australian dollar is well supported, worth US104.58c, £0.6523 and €80.67c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown