Black Friday 2012 Online Retail Sales Rise 26% To $1.04 Billion: ComScore
By J.J. McGrath | November 26, 2012 9:56 AM EST
U.S. online retail spending on Black Friday surpassed the $1 billion milestone for the first time, researcher comScore Inc. (Nasdaq: SCOR) reported Sunday.
Online retail sales on the day after the Thanksgiving Day holiday rose to $1.04 billion this year from $816 million last year, an increase of 26 percent. As a result, it was the heaviest online spending day to date in 2012, comScore said.
To put this $1.04 billion figure into perspective, researcher ShopperTrak has estimated U.S. brick-and-mortar retail sales were about $11.20 billion on Black Friday.
Reston, Va.-based comScore also reported in its data release that 57.3 million Americans visited online retailers on Black Friday. This represents an increase of 18 percent, year over year.
The top five online retailers with the most traffic on Black Friday were Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN), Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT), Best Buy Co. Inc. (NYSE: BBY), the Target Corp. (NYSE: TGT), and Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL), comScore said.
Among these top five online retailers, Amazon also led the way in recording the highest growth rate in the number of visitors on Black Friday between last year and this year, comScore said.
“Despite the frenzy of media coverage surrounding the importance of Black Friday in the brick-and-mortar world, we continue to see this shopping day become more and more prominent in the e-commerce channel -- particularly among those who prefer to avoid crowds at the stores," Gian M. Fulgoni, comScore's co-founder and executive chairman, said in a statement.
Fulgoni contended, “With Black Friday online sales up 26 percent and surpassing $1 billion for the first time, coupled with early reports indicating that Black Friday sales in retail stores were down 1.8 percent, we can now confidently call it a multichannel marketing phenomenon."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install