Black Friday 2012 Online Retail Sales Rise 26% To $1.04 Billion: ComScore
By J.J. McGrath | November 26, 2012 9:56 AM EST
U.S. online retail spending on Black Friday surpassed the $1 billion milestone for the first time, researcher comScore Inc. (Nasdaq: SCOR) reported Sunday.
Online retail sales on the day after the Thanksgiving Day holiday rose to $1.04 billion this year from $816 million last year, an increase of 26 percent. As a result, it was the heaviest online spending day to date in 2012, comScore said.
To put this $1.04 billion figure into perspective, researcher ShopperTrak has estimated U.S. brick-and-mortar retail sales were about $11.20 billion on Black Friday.
Reston, Va.-based comScore also reported in its data release that 57.3 million Americans visited online retailers on Black Friday. This represents an increase of 18 percent, year over year.
The top five online retailers with the most traffic on Black Friday were Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN), Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT), Best Buy Co. Inc. (NYSE: BBY), the Target Corp. (NYSE: TGT), and Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL), comScore said.
Among these top five online retailers, Amazon also led the way in recording the highest growth rate in the number of visitors on Black Friday between last year and this year, comScore said.
“Despite the frenzy of media coverage surrounding the importance of Black Friday in the brick-and-mortar world, we continue to see this shopping day become more and more prominent in the e-commerce channel -- particularly among those who prefer to avoid crowds at the stores," Gian M. Fulgoni, comScore's co-founder and executive chairman, said in a statement.
Fulgoni contended, “With Black Friday online sales up 26 percent and surpassing $1 billion for the first time, coupled with early reports indicating that Black Friday sales in retail stores were down 1.8 percent, we can now confidently call it a multichannel marketing phenomenon."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family