'Les Miserables' Audience In Standing Ovation Over Hathaway, Hooper; How Russell Crowe Helped Hugh Jackman
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 26, 2012 7:17 AM EST
Chatter around which films deserve award nominations is already afoot with the success of “Silver Linings Playbook” and “Lincoln,” but is expected to swell further as the release date for “Les Miserables” nears. The epic musical, boasting a cast of Anne Hathaway, Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman and a host of others, had critics in a standing ovation at a recent New York City screening.
The Hollywood Reporter praised British director Tom Hooper after the Black Friday screening, surmising he could become only the 19th person to win two Oscars for best director. (Hooper won the award just two years ago for “The King’s Speech”.)
The trade magazine cited Hooper’s bold method of filming a musical. The director had actors rehearse a full nine weeks before filming started. Instead of lip-syncing to a prerecorded soundtrack the stars wore earpieces from a piano playing live and adjusted to its tempo.
Anne Hathaway’s performance as Fantine was another highlight for critics because she lost 25 pounds for the role and reportedly portrayed her character in a way few thought her capable. THR named Hathaway as the frontrunner for best supporting actress and her fellow “Les Miserables” stars would probably agree.
Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman, both Australians, play French enemies in the film but said in recent interviews they have long been friends in real life.
“We really pushed each other,” Jackman, who plays Jean Valjean, told Entertainment Weekly. “That rivalry at the beginning, it really is a constant throughout. It had to be strong, and it’s really one of the spines of the story, that runs from beginning to end.”
The actor also said Crowe, who plays Javert, is directly responsible for his starring in “Wolverine” and “Australia.”
“Russell has given me advice several times at key moments in my life that helped with my career. I also owe him because two of the biggest roles I’ve ever had in my life, he turned down – and suggested me for them,” Jackman said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Spoilers: Curly Hair Bachelorette’s Exit In Episode 16, Blake Talks About Laurina And Why He Rubbed His Eye
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown