Bersani leads in Italy centre-left primary - exit poll
November 26, 2012 7:14 AM EST
The head of Italy's Democratic Party, Pier Luigi Bersani, was in the lead after the primary to choose the main centre-left candidate in next year's national election, ahead of his main rival, Matteo Renzi, according to an exit poll on Sunday.
The exit survey by the Piepoli polling institute for RAI News 24, showed Bersani with 44 percent support, Renzi with 36 percent, and Nichi Vendola, governor of the southern region of Puglia on 16 percent.
Bersani, 61, had been favourite to win the race before voting began on Sunday, in part because of his control of the Democratic Party (PD) machine and his support among the party's core voters.
However a stronger-than-expected turnout in the primary, which was not restricted to PD members, increased expectations that Renzi, the 37 year-old mayor of Florence, would do well because of his appeal to voters outside the party.
Results are expected later on Sunday evening. If none of the five candidates in the primary wins an absolute majority after Sunday's vote, a run-off vote between the two leaders will be held on December 2.
(Reporting by Catherine Hornby and James Mackenzie; Editing by Jon Hemming)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles