Bersani leads in Italy centre-left primary - exit poll
November 26, 2012 7:14 AM EST
The head of Italy's Democratic Party, Pier Luigi Bersani, was in the lead after the primary to choose the main centre-left candidate in next year's national election, ahead of his main rival, Matteo Renzi, according to an exit poll on Sunday.
The exit survey by the Piepoli polling institute for RAI News 24, showed Bersani with 44 percent support, Renzi with 36 percent, and Nichi Vendola, governor of the southern region of Puglia on 16 percent.
Bersani, 61, had been favourite to win the race before voting began on Sunday, in part because of his control of the Democratic Party (PD) machine and his support among the party's core voters.
However a stronger-than-expected turnout in the primary, which was not restricted to PD members, increased expectations that Renzi, the 37 year-old mayor of Florence, would do well because of his appeal to voters outside the party.
Results are expected later on Sunday evening. If none of the five candidates in the primary wins an absolute majority after Sunday's vote, a run-off vote between the two leaders will be held on December 2.
(Reporting by Catherine Hornby and James Mackenzie; Editing by Jon Hemming)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans