Bersani leads in Italy centre-left primary - exit poll
November 26, 2012 7:14 AM EST
The head of Italy's Democratic Party, Pier Luigi Bersani, was in the lead after the primary to choose the main centre-left candidate in next year's national election, ahead of his main rival, Matteo Renzi, according to an exit poll on Sunday.
The exit survey by the Piepoli polling institute for RAI News 24, showed Bersani with 44 percent support, Renzi with 36 percent, and Nichi Vendola, governor of the southern region of Puglia on 16 percent.
Bersani, 61, had been favourite to win the race before voting began on Sunday, in part because of his control of the Democratic Party (PD) machine and his support among the party's core voters.
However a stronger-than-expected turnout in the primary, which was not restricted to PD members, increased expectations that Renzi, the 37 year-old mayor of Florence, would do well because of his appeal to voters outside the party.
Results are expected later on Sunday evening. If none of the five candidates in the primary wins an absolute majority after Sunday's vote, a run-off vote between the two leaders will be held on December 2.
(Reporting by Catherine Hornby and James Mackenzie; Editing by Jon Hemming)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon