Bersani leads in Italy centre-left primary - exit poll
November 26, 2012 7:14 AM EST
The head of Italy's Democratic Party, Pier Luigi Bersani, was in the lead after the primary to choose the main centre-left candidate in next year's national election, ahead of his main rival, Matteo Renzi, according to an exit poll on Sunday.
The exit survey by the Piepoli polling institute for RAI News 24, showed Bersani with 44 percent support, Renzi with 36 percent, and Nichi Vendola, governor of the southern region of Puglia on 16 percent.
Bersani, 61, had been favourite to win the race before voting began on Sunday, in part because of his control of the Democratic Party (PD) machine and his support among the party's core voters.
However a stronger-than-expected turnout in the primary, which was not restricted to PD members, increased expectations that Renzi, the 37 year-old mayor of Florence, would do well because of his appeal to voters outside the party.
Results are expected later on Sunday evening. If none of the five candidates in the primary wins an absolute majority after Sunday's vote, a run-off vote between the two leaders will be held on December 2.
(Reporting by Catherine Hornby and James Mackenzie; Editing by Jon Hemming)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On