$425 Million Jackpot Projection Breaks Records As Powerball Goes Without Winner Again
By Connor Sheets | November 26, 2012 7:06 AM EST
The Powerball lottery's jackpot is poised to break records by hitting $425 million, since no winner was selected yet again in Saturday's multi-state drawing, Iowa Lottery spokeswoman Mary Neubauer told Reuters on Sunday.
The Saturday drawing would have netted its winner $325 million, but now that there has been no Powerball winner for two straight months, a $425 million jackpot is on the horizon. Neubauer said the fact that the potential payout is so high means that a $425 million jackpot -- or a record $278.3 million cash payout after taxes -- could be in line for Wednesday's drawing, according to Reuters.
"We'll watch sales to see if an adjustment upwards needs to be made," Neubauer told Reuters.
MSNBC reports that the $425 million jackpot estimate could even be low, as hordes of people head out to buy tickets in light of the mega-jackpot amount, though a $425 million jackpot is the accepted educated guess as of Sunday.
The winning numbers in Saturday's Powerball were 22-32-37-44-50 with a Powerball of 34, according to MSNBC.
The Powerball jackpot record-holder now is $365 million, which was won by eight ConAgra Foods workers in Nebraska in 2006, according to the Associated Press. But the largest U.S. lottery jackpot payout in history came in March, when three tickets split a $656 million Mega Millions prize, Reuters said.
Lottery officials put the odds of winning the Powerball at one in 175 million, according to ABC News.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015