$425 Million Jackpot Projection Breaks Records As Powerball Goes Without Winner Again
By Connor Sheets | November 26, 2012 7:06 AM EST
The Powerball lottery's jackpot is poised to break records by hitting $425 million, since no winner was selected yet again in Saturday's multi-state drawing, Iowa Lottery spokeswoman Mary Neubauer told Reuters on Sunday.
The Saturday drawing would have netted its winner $325 million, but now that there has been no Powerball winner for two straight months, a $425 million jackpot is on the horizon. Neubauer said the fact that the potential payout is so high means that a $425 million jackpot -- or a record $278.3 million cash payout after taxes -- could be in line for Wednesday's drawing, according to Reuters.
"We'll watch sales to see if an adjustment upwards needs to be made," Neubauer told Reuters.
MSNBC reports that the $425 million jackpot estimate could even be low, as hordes of people head out to buy tickets in light of the mega-jackpot amount, though a $425 million jackpot is the accepted educated guess as of Sunday.
The winning numbers in Saturday's Powerball were 22-32-37-44-50 with a Powerball of 34, according to MSNBC.
The Powerball jackpot record-holder now is $365 million, which was won by eight ConAgra Foods workers in Nebraska in 2006, according to the Associated Press. But the largest U.S. lottery jackpot payout in history came in March, when three tickets split a $656 million Mega Millions prize, Reuters said.
Lottery officials put the odds of winning the Powerball at one in 175 million, according to ABC News.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build