$425 Million Jackpot Projection Breaks Records As Powerball Goes Without Winner Again
By Connor Sheets | November 26, 2012 7:06 AM EST
The Powerball lottery's jackpot is poised to break records by hitting $425 million, since no winner was selected yet again in Saturday's multi-state drawing, Iowa Lottery spokeswoman Mary Neubauer told Reuters on Sunday.
The Saturday drawing would have netted its winner $325 million, but now that there has been no Powerball winner for two straight months, a $425 million jackpot is on the horizon. Neubauer said the fact that the potential payout is so high means that a $425 million jackpot -- or a record $278.3 million cash payout after taxes -- could be in line for Wednesday's drawing, according to Reuters.
"We'll watch sales to see if an adjustment upwards needs to be made," Neubauer told Reuters.
MSNBC reports that the $425 million jackpot estimate could even be low, as hordes of people head out to buy tickets in light of the mega-jackpot amount, though a $425 million jackpot is the accepted educated guess as of Sunday.
The winning numbers in Saturday's Powerball were 22-32-37-44-50 with a Powerball of 34, according to MSNBC.
The Powerball jackpot record-holder now is $365 million, which was won by eight ConAgra Foods workers in Nebraska in 2006, according to the Associated Press. But the largest U.S. lottery jackpot payout in history came in March, when three tickets split a $656 million Mega Millions prize, Reuters said.
Lottery officials put the odds of winning the Powerball at one in 175 million, according to ABC News.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery