John McCain Indicates Softening Stance On Susan Rice UN Nomination
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 26, 2012 5:23 AM EST
Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., indicated Sunday morning a softening of his opposition to a possible promotion of United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice to secretary of state.
His remarks came during an appearance on “Fox News Sunday” hosted by Chris Wallace, during which McCain reversed his previous vow to block Rice's potential nomination to replace Hillary Clinton, according to the Huffington Post.
McCain and his ally Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., had accused Rice of taking part in "coverup" of the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans, which Mitt Romney and the Republicans made much of in the closing weeks of the 2012 presidential campaign.
"Sure, she can give everyone the benefit of explaining their position, and the actions they took," McCain said Sunday, referring to what it would take to drop his opposition to Rice', according to CNN. "I'll be glad to have the opportunity to discuss these issues with her."
McCain did, however, reiterate his continuing concerns with Rice and handling of the situation in Benghazi.
"Why did she say that al Qaeda has been decimated?" McCain said. "Al Qaeda has not been decimated. They are on the rise. They are all over Iraq. Training camps are in Libya. They are all over Syria and are on the rise in the Middle East, and there's a lot of questions for Ambassador Rice. And I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to discuss these with her."
McCain took a rather different line during remarks on Nov. 14.
"I will do everything in my power to block her from being the United States secretary of state," McCain said. "She has proven that she either doesn't understand, or she is not willing to accept evidence on its face. There is no doubt five days later what this attack was and for."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff