India Defends Its IKEA Rebuff
November 26, 2012 12:43 AM EST
A top government official on Saturday defended India's decision to permit IKEA to sell only furniture products in the country, curtailing the Swedish retailer's investment plans in a fast growing consumer market.
The Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB), which clears foreign investment proposals in the country, approved on Tuesday IKEA's 1.5 billion euros investment plan on conditions that the retailer would operate only in its core business.
"It's a single brand approval. So they can sell those items which they can brand," Arvind Mayaram, economic affairs secretary at the finance ministry and one of the members of the FIPB, told reporters.
"Whatever they can brand, they have been permitted to."
The cabinet needs to approve the decision of the FIPB before it comes into effect.
On Friday, local newspapers reported that IKEA had been forbidden from selling any food or drinks and other items including textile products and office supplies.
It is not yet clear whether product restrictions will delay or alter IKEA's investment plans in the country. The retailer has said it will review the details of the approval once they are made public.
The government has presented IKEA's planned entry as a sign that foreign investors have kept faith with Asia's third-largest economy, at a time when growth has declined and political protests have erupted over expansion by foreign firms.
India has thrown open its doors to foreign retailers this year, liberalising investment rules to allow in global supermarket chains and as well as lifting an investment cap on single-brand retailers such as IKEA.
But the rule changes have provoked a furious backlash from some political parties and domestic retailers, a reaction which threatens to derail a package of pro-market reforms aimed at reviving growth.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?