Bangladesh Garment Factory Fire Claims 120 Lives [PHOTOS]
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 25, 2012 7:07 PM EST
A fire in a multi-storey garment factory on the outskirts of Dhaka, Bangladesh, killed at least 120 people and injured many others, the chief of the fire brigade said on Sunday.
"This morning we have recovered 120 dead bodies and the death toll could rise," Abu Nayeem Mohammad Shahidullah, director general of the fire brigade, told reporters.
On Saturday, the fire broke out at the seven-storey clothing factory at Ashulia, an industrial area on the outskirts of Dhaka, where about half a million people make clothes. The blaze in the factory operated by Tazreen Fashions, started on the ground floor and quickly spread to the other floors, leaving hundreds of workers including women, trapped in the fire.
"The factory had three staircases, and all of them were down through the ground floor," Associated Press quoted fire department Operations Director Maj. Mohammad Mahbub as saying. "So the workers could not come out when the fire engulfed the building. Had there been at least one emergency exit through outside the factory, the casualties would have been much lower," he added.
According to witnesses, workers ran for their safety after the fire broke out, but were unable to come out because of narrow exits.
"Many jumped out from the windows and were injured, or died on the spot," Reuters quoted Milon, a resident, as saying. "We are appalled to see the charred bodies coming out of the factory since last night. It was an endless stream," he added.
The cause of the fire is not known yet and police and rescuers said that the death counts could rise.
Check out the photos here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies