Kejriwal To Hold First Official 'Aam Aadmi Party' Meeting On Sunday
By ambrosia sabrina | November 25, 2012 7:01 PM EST
Activist-turned politician Arvind Kejriwal will kickstart the proceedings of his newly formed Aam Aadmi Party in its first official meeting on Sunday.
The meeting will be held evening in New Delhi, where members and supporters of the Kejriwal-led India Against Corruption group are expected to turn up in huge numbers. The meeting will likely include a discussion on the party's key strategies.
A day after the meeting, Aam Aadmi Party, which is named after the common man, will be launched from the Jantar Mantar in New Delhi. Those who show up at the venue on Monday will be regarded as the party's founding members, said Kejriwal, according to NDTV.
Kejriwal had official revealed the name of his party on Saturday. The announcement did not go down well with the Congress, which alleged that the activist "hijacked" its slogan "Aam Aadmi ka haath Congress ke Saath".
"The 'aam aadmi' has been synonymous with the Congress party since 1885. Nobody can hijack the intrinsic relation between Congress and the 'aam aadmi'," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told IANS on Saturday.
Reacting to the accusations of the naming of his party, Kejriwal said that the Congress could not hijack the common man.
The formation of Aadmi Party Party came after a spat with IAC founder Anna Hazare in September over differences on Kejriwal's intention to shift the anti-corruption movement to that of a political one. Hazare wished to keep the IAC apolitical.
Kejriwal said that his party's vision is to establish Swaraj. He stressed that it would not be the politicians, but the common man, including women who would form his party.
The party will contest in the Assembly elections in Delhi around the end of 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills
- New Zealand Medicine Products Sector To Get Own Regulator::Drops Plan For A Joint Regulator With Australia
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide