Kejriwal To Hold First Official 'Aam Aadmi Party' Meeting On Sunday
By ambrosia sabrina | November 25, 2012 7:01 PM EST
Activist-turned politician Arvind Kejriwal will kickstart the proceedings of his newly formed Aam Aadmi Party in its first official meeting on Sunday.
The meeting will be held evening in New Delhi, where members and supporters of the Kejriwal-led India Against Corruption group are expected to turn up in huge numbers. The meeting will likely include a discussion on the party's key strategies.
A day after the meeting, Aam Aadmi Party, which is named after the common man, will be launched from the Jantar Mantar in New Delhi. Those who show up at the venue on Monday will be regarded as the party's founding members, said Kejriwal, according to NDTV.
Kejriwal had official revealed the name of his party on Saturday. The announcement did not go down well with the Congress, which alleged that the activist "hijacked" its slogan "Aam Aadmi ka haath Congress ke Saath".
"The 'aam aadmi' has been synonymous with the Congress party since 1885. Nobody can hijack the intrinsic relation between Congress and the 'aam aadmi'," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told IANS on Saturday.
Reacting to the accusations of the naming of his party, Kejriwal said that the Congress could not hijack the common man.
The formation of Aadmi Party Party came after a spat with IAC founder Anna Hazare in September over differences on Kejriwal's intention to shift the anti-corruption movement to that of a political one. Hazare wished to keep the IAC apolitical.
Kejriwal said that his party's vision is to establish Swaraj. He stressed that it would not be the politicians, but the common man, including women who would form his party.
The party will contest in the Assembly elections in Delhi around the end of 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools