Falling Tree Kills Woman in Devon as Britain Braces for Heavy Rain
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 25, 2012 5:50 PM EST
A woman has been killed by a falling tree in Exeter, Devon, as the UK braces for more heavy rain and flooding.
The 21-year-old was seriously injured after her tent was crushed by a tree. She died in hospital from injuries sustained.
"It was a very large oak tree that had been there for ... many years. Obviously we've had lots of heavy weather, it's been raining an awful lot, and the tree for whatever reason came down," Inspector Andrea Webber of Devon and Cornwall Police told Sky News.
"It's taken a wall with it when it came down, and then on top of that the tent was underneath and the tree has fallen on to the tent."
Two men were also injured in the incident.
Meanwhile, England and Wales brace for more rains and floods. The Environment Agency has issued 211 flood warnings and four severe flood warnings across England and Wales. Apart from the flood warnings, 236 flood alerts are also in place.
Severe flood warnings are in place for Helston, Polperro, Perranporth, and Lostwithiel in Cornwall, where 230 council staff have been deployed to help people affected.
"The current unsettled spell of weather is set to continue up to Sunday with further spells of heavy rain expected across the South West over the next four days," said Kevin Ward of the Environment Agency.
People have been urged to be "extra vigilant" of flooding as the ground in many areas is already saturated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29