Falling Tree Kills Woman in Devon as Britain Braces for Heavy Rain
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 25, 2012 5:50 PM EST
A woman has been killed by a falling tree in Exeter, Devon, as the UK braces for more heavy rain and flooding.
The 21-year-old was seriously injured after her tent was crushed by a tree. She died in hospital from injuries sustained.
"It was a very large oak tree that had been there for ... many years. Obviously we've had lots of heavy weather, it's been raining an awful lot, and the tree for whatever reason came down," Inspector Andrea Webber of Devon and Cornwall Police told Sky News.
"It's taken a wall with it when it came down, and then on top of that the tent was underneath and the tree has fallen on to the tent."
Two men were also injured in the incident.
Meanwhile, England and Wales brace for more rains and floods. The Environment Agency has issued 211 flood warnings and four severe flood warnings across England and Wales. Apart from the flood warnings, 236 flood alerts are also in place.
Severe flood warnings are in place for Helston, Polperro, Perranporth, and Lostwithiel in Cornwall, where 230 council staff have been deployed to help people affected.
"The current unsettled spell of weather is set to continue up to Sunday with further spells of heavy rain expected across the South West over the next four days," said Kevin Ward of the Environment Agency.
People have been urged to be "extra vigilant" of flooding as the ground in many areas is already saturated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools