Falling Tree Kills Woman in Devon as Britain Braces for Heavy Rain
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 25, 2012 5:50 PM EST
A woman has been killed by a falling tree in Exeter, Devon, as the UK braces for more heavy rain and flooding.
The 21-year-old was seriously injured after her tent was crushed by a tree. She died in hospital from injuries sustained.
"It was a very large oak tree that had been there for ... many years. Obviously we've had lots of heavy weather, it's been raining an awful lot, and the tree for whatever reason came down," Inspector Andrea Webber of Devon and Cornwall Police told Sky News.
"It's taken a wall with it when it came down, and then on top of that the tent was underneath and the tree has fallen on to the tent."
Two men were also injured in the incident.
Meanwhile, England and Wales brace for more rains and floods. The Environment Agency has issued 211 flood warnings and four severe flood warnings across England and Wales. Apart from the flood warnings, 236 flood alerts are also in place.
Severe flood warnings are in place for Helston, Polperro, Perranporth, and Lostwithiel in Cornwall, where 230 council staff have been deployed to help people affected.
"The current unsettled spell of weather is set to continue up to Sunday with further spells of heavy rain expected across the South West over the next four days," said Kevin Ward of the Environment Agency.
People have been urged to be "extra vigilant" of flooding as the ground in many areas is already saturated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories