Falling Tree Kills Woman in Devon as Britain Braces for Heavy Rain
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 25, 2012 5:50 PM EST
A woman has been killed by a falling tree in Exeter, Devon, as the UK braces for more heavy rain and flooding.
The 21-year-old was seriously injured after her tent was crushed by a tree. She died in hospital from injuries sustained.
"It was a very large oak tree that had been there for ... many years. Obviously we've had lots of heavy weather, it's been raining an awful lot, and the tree for whatever reason came down," Inspector Andrea Webber of Devon and Cornwall Police told Sky News.
"It's taken a wall with it when it came down, and then on top of that the tent was underneath and the tree has fallen on to the tent."
Two men were also injured in the incident.
Meanwhile, England and Wales brace for more rains and floods. The Environment Agency has issued 211 flood warnings and four severe flood warnings across England and Wales. Apart from the flood warnings, 236 flood alerts are also in place.
Severe flood warnings are in place for Helston, Polperro, Perranporth, and Lostwithiel in Cornwall, where 230 council staff have been deployed to help people affected.
"The current unsettled spell of weather is set to continue up to Sunday with further spells of heavy rain expected across the South West over the next four days," said Kevin Ward of the Environment Agency.
People have been urged to be "extra vigilant" of flooding as the ground in many areas is already saturated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How