Falling Tree Kills Woman in Devon as Britain Braces for Heavy Rain
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 25, 2012 5:50 PM EST
A woman has been killed by a falling tree in Exeter, Devon, as the UK braces for more heavy rain and flooding.
The 21-year-old was seriously injured after her tent was crushed by a tree. She died in hospital from injuries sustained.
"It was a very large oak tree that had been there for ... many years. Obviously we've had lots of heavy weather, it's been raining an awful lot, and the tree for whatever reason came down," Inspector Andrea Webber of Devon and Cornwall Police told Sky News.
"It's taken a wall with it when it came down, and then on top of that the tent was underneath and the tree has fallen on to the tent."
Two men were also injured in the incident.
Meanwhile, England and Wales brace for more rains and floods. The Environment Agency has issued 211 flood warnings and four severe flood warnings across England and Wales. Apart from the flood warnings, 236 flood alerts are also in place.
Severe flood warnings are in place for Helston, Polperro, Perranporth, and Lostwithiel in Cornwall, where 230 council staff have been deployed to help people affected.
"The current unsettled spell of weather is set to continue up to Sunday with further spells of heavy rain expected across the South West over the next four days," said Kevin Ward of the Environment Agency.
People have been urged to be "extra vigilant" of flooding as the ground in many areas is already saturated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Trina Targets French Montana And Kardashian In A Song To Show What Happens To A Reject
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1