Bangladesh Garment Factory Blaze Kills At Least 120 People
By Geetha Pillai | November 25, 2012 4:56 PM EST
At least 120 people have died in a fire that engulfed a garment factory in the Ashulia district of the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka.
By Sunday morning, firefighters had recovered more than 104 charred bodies from a nine-storey factory operated by Tazreen Fashions. The fire broke out overnight on the ground floor of the warehouse.
Several people sustained serious injuries when they jumped from the top floors of the building to escape the fire, and later died in hospital.
"We resumed our search this morning and found the bodies lying on different floors of the factory building," Brigadier General Abu Nayeem Mohammad Shahidullah of the Dhaka fire brigade told AFP.
The authorities have called in border security forces and army soldiers to help monitor the situation and co-ordinate rescue activities as people gathered to search for their relatives.
The exact number of missing people is not yet known, raising fears that more victims remain inside.
There are over 4,000 garment factories in Bangladesh, many of them producing goods for export to the United States and Europe. The sector employs over two million people.
However, lack of proper safety regulation and enforcement, overcrowding and dangerous electrical wiring cause several fatal fires every year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage