Bangladesh Garment Factory Blaze Kills At Least 120 People
By Geetha Pillai | November 25, 2012 4:56 PM EST
At least 120 people have died in a fire that engulfed a garment factory in the Ashulia district of the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka.
By Sunday morning, firefighters had recovered more than 104 charred bodies from a nine-storey factory operated by Tazreen Fashions. The fire broke out overnight on the ground floor of the warehouse.
Several people sustained serious injuries when they jumped from the top floors of the building to escape the fire, and later died in hospital.
"We resumed our search this morning and found the bodies lying on different floors of the factory building," Brigadier General Abu Nayeem Mohammad Shahidullah of the Dhaka fire brigade told AFP.
The authorities have called in border security forces and army soldiers to help monitor the situation and co-ordinate rescue activities as people gathered to search for their relatives.
The exact number of missing people is not yet known, raising fears that more victims remain inside.
There are over 4,000 garment factories in Bangladesh, many of them producing goods for export to the United States and Europe. The sector employs over two million people.
However, lack of proper safety regulation and enforcement, overcrowding and dangerous electrical wiring cause several fatal fires every year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools