Bangladesh Garment Factory Blaze Kills At Least 120 People
By Geetha Pillai | November 25, 2012 4:56 PM EST
At least 120 people have died in a fire that engulfed a garment factory in the Ashulia district of the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka.
By Sunday morning, firefighters had recovered more than 104 charred bodies from a nine-storey factory operated by Tazreen Fashions. The fire broke out overnight on the ground floor of the warehouse.
Several people sustained serious injuries when they jumped from the top floors of the building to escape the fire, and later died in hospital.
"We resumed our search this morning and found the bodies lying on different floors of the factory building," Brigadier General Abu Nayeem Mohammad Shahidullah of the Dhaka fire brigade told AFP.
The authorities have called in border security forces and army soldiers to help monitor the situation and co-ordinate rescue activities as people gathered to search for their relatives.
The exact number of missing people is not yet known, raising fears that more victims remain inside.
There are over 4,000 garment factories in Bangladesh, many of them producing goods for export to the United States and Europe. The sector employs over two million people.
However, lack of proper safety regulation and enforcement, overcrowding and dangerous electrical wiring cause several fatal fires every year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- Video: Man's Privates Gets Exposed For the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- Perth Train Racist Attack Caught on Camera [VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown