Wall St Summary RIMM, AMD, APPL, TSM
By Paul A. Ebeling, Jnr. | November 25, 2012 5:54 AM EST
RIMM, AMD, APPL, TSM, LRCX, TSM, EIX, SO, EXC, UPN, KSU
DJIA 13009.68+172.79 (1.35%) NAS 2966.85+40.30 (1.38%) S&P 5001409.15+18.12 (1.30%)
10-yr Note-3/32 1.697
NYSEAdv 2438 Dec 476 Vol 328.9-M NAS Adv 1776 Dec 550 Vol 745.0-M
Strong: Technology, Consumer Discretionary, Financials, Materials, Telecoms
US equities began Friday’s short session on a Bullish bias. The sentiment was maintained into the close as the S&P 500 reached its high during the 1st hr of trade, and stayed near that area until the close.
The markets were not affected by headlines from overseas which indicated the Eurozone Summit has been postponed and will likely take place early next year.
Friday’s volume below-average, the S&P 500 rose 1.3% closing above the Key 1,400 mark.
Technology stocks led the broader market. Shares of Apple NASDAQ:AAPL 571.50, +9.80 added 1.7% as the stock climbs back up.
Semiconductor manufacturers outperformed and the PHLX Semiconductor index gained 1.8%. Among individual stocks which comprise the index, Taiwan Semiconductor NYSE:TSM 16.84, +0.58 advanced 3.6% after Taiwan’s finance minister called on the government to begin purchasing individual equities.
Looking at other out performers within the semiconductor average, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD 1.95, +0.08) and Lam Research NASDAQ:LRCX 35.34, +0.84 saw gains of 4.3% and 2.4%.
Research in Motion NASDAQ:RIMM 11.66, +1.40 rose 13.7% after National Bank Financial raised its estimates for Blackberry 10 sales. In addition, National Financial Bank raised the price target to 15 from 12 a share.
Utility stocks continued their recent slide. The space was the only decliner among S&P sectors as settled lower by 0.3%.
The biggest relative weakness was observed among electricity providers as Exelon NYSE:EXC 28.57, -0.28, Edison International NYSE:EIX 43.49, -0.33), and Southern Company NYSE:SO 42.03, -0.25 fell between 0.6% and 1.0%.
The extended weakness in utility stocks comes as investors prepare for the possibility of a dividend tax hike.
Plus, electricity providers are expected to face tougher regulation after Superstorm Sandy caused considerable damage to east coast infrastructure.
The Dow Jones Transportation Average advanced 1.1% and railroad stocks saw relative strength. Kansas City Southern NYSE:KSU 77.61, +1.28 gained 1.7% and Union Pacific NYSE:UNP 121.98, +1.94 advanced 1.6%.
Paul A. Ebeling, Jnr.
Paul A. Ebeling, Jnr. writes and publishes The Red Roadmaster’s Technical Report on the US Major Market Indices, a weekly, highly-regarded financial market letter, read by opinion makers, business leaders and organizations around the world.
Paul A. Ebeling, Jnr has studied the global financial and stock markets since 1984, following a successful business career that included investment banking, and market and business analysis. He is a specialist in equities/commodities, and an accomplished chart reader who advises technicians with regard to Major Indices Resistance/Support Levels.
Copyright Live Trading News All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu