Knight in talks for market-making unit sale: sources
November 25, 2012 6:00 AM EST
Knight Capital Group Inc
The securities firm has been approached by at least two rivals about its market-making operation, which uses complicated computer models to match buy and sell orders in stocks and options, another source familiar with the matter said.
Knight's board of directors is expected to get separate proposals next week for the market-making business from high-speed trading firms Getco LLC and Virtu Financial LLC, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing people who were briefed on the discussions. Other potential buyers also could approach the board about that business and perhaps others, it said.
Knight has virtually all of its customers back after a massive August trading glitch and could decide to keep the business, one of the sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.
Knight said it does not comment on rumors and speculation.
Getco and Virtu spokespeople declined comment on the report.
In October, Knight Capital posted a third-quarter loss of $389.9 million following a massive software glitch.
On August 1, Knight, one of the biggest executors of U.S. stock trades, went live with new software that had been improperly installed. The software conflicted with old code that was to have been deleted, unleashing a flood of orders to the New York Stock Exchange, and leaving Knight with a massive position it had to unload at a loss.
(Reporting by John McCrank and Gregory Roumeliotis in New York; Writing by Brad Dorfman and Jessica Wohl in Chicago; Editing by Vicki Allen)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James