Italy's Berlusconi hints he may run in 2013 election
November 25, 2012 5:49 AM EST
Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi hinted on Saturday that he may seek to run in spring elections, changing his mind again and deepening chaos in his centre-right party.
A day before the centre-left is due to hold primary elections to pick a candidate to lead their alliance in the national poll, the centre-right is still unsure about whether to hold its own primary vote, which hinges on Berlusconi's plans.
Asked by reporters on Saturday whether he was considering "returning to the playing field", Berlusconi said, "I am thinking about it."
Italy will hold a parliamentary election in March next year to pick a government and new leader to take over from Mario Monti, who came to power a year ago when Berlusconi stepped aside at the height of the financial crisis.
After months of hinting that he may run and then backtracking, Berlusconi said at the end of October that he would not lead his People of Freedom (PDL) party in the elections.
The centre-right has been preparing to hold its own primary vote on December 16 to choose a new leader, but PDL secretary Angelino Alfano said on Saturday that "would not make much sense" if Berlusconi decides to stand himself.
The PDL has been close to disintegration due to disputes over whether to stick with Monti's unpopular economic policies. The party has slumped in opinion polls to less than half its support in 2008 elections, and speculation has been growing that Berlusconi may form his own breakaway party.
(Reporting By Catherine Hornby; Editing by Myra MacDonald)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How