Italy's Berlusconi hints he may run in 2013 election
November 25, 2012 5:49 AM EST
Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi hinted on Saturday that he may seek to run in spring elections, changing his mind again and deepening chaos in his centre-right party.
A day before the centre-left is due to hold primary elections to pick a candidate to lead their alliance in the national poll, the centre-right is still unsure about whether to hold its own primary vote, which hinges on Berlusconi's plans.
Asked by reporters on Saturday whether he was considering "returning to the playing field", Berlusconi said, "I am thinking about it."
Italy will hold a parliamentary election in March next year to pick a government and new leader to take over from Mario Monti, who came to power a year ago when Berlusconi stepped aside at the height of the financial crisis.
After months of hinting that he may run and then backtracking, Berlusconi said at the end of October that he would not lead his People of Freedom (PDL) party in the elections.
The centre-right has been preparing to hold its own primary vote on December 16 to choose a new leader, but PDL secretary Angelino Alfano said on Saturday that "would not make much sense" if Berlusconi decides to stand himself.
The PDL has been close to disintegration due to disputes over whether to stick with Monti's unpopular economic policies. The party has slumped in opinion polls to less than half its support in 2008 elections, and speculation has been growing that Berlusconi may form his own breakaway party.
(Reporting By Catherine Hornby; Editing by Myra MacDonald)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia