Facebook to Curb Users’ Rights to Veto Policy Changes
By Rohit KVN | November 24, 2012 11:24 PM EST
Elliot Schrage, Facebook communication head, in his official blog has posted that the social network is preparing to restructure the site's governance process.
Elliot in his blog implies that the social network will remove the voting system that gave its users the right to strike down a policy change.
Earlier, policy changes were struck down if the change prompted more than 7,000 comments and if more than 30 percent of people on Facebook participated in the vote, reported Digits.
Elliot pointed out that the social network's voting mechanism triggered by a number of comments actually resulted in a system where the quality of voting was compromised with quantity of comments.
The change in the voting process is attributed to an increase in the number of Facebook users. It is reported that Facebook at present has more than one billion active users.
Facebook has also proposed more changes in the user account' privacy settings:
- 'Facebook Messages' will be provided with new tools to manage the incoming messages, 'Who can send you Facebook messages' will be replaced with new filters.
- Changes to how we refer to certain products, like instant personalization.
- Reminders about what's visible to other people on Facebook. For instance, when you hide things from your timeline, those posts are visible elsewhere, like in news feed, on other people's timelines or in search results.
- Tips on managing your timeline. For example, you can use tools on your timeline or activity log to delete your own posts or you can ask someone else to delete a post in which you're tagged.
For more information regarding the changes in Facebook governance policy, you can click here.
The Facebook has posted Nov. 28 as the last date for users to submit their opinions. After the set date, Facebook chief privacy officer of policy Erin Egan will host Facebook Live to answer users' live queries.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports