Facebook to Curb Users’ Rights to Veto Policy Changes
By Rohit KVN | November 24, 2012 11:24 PM EST
Elliot Schrage, Facebook communication head, in his official blog has posted that the social network is preparing to restructure the site's governance process.
Elliot in his blog implies that the social network will remove the voting system that gave its users the right to strike down a policy change.
Earlier, policy changes were struck down if the change prompted more than 7,000 comments and if more than 30 percent of people on Facebook participated in the vote, reported Digits.
Elliot pointed out that the social network's voting mechanism triggered by a number of comments actually resulted in a system where the quality of voting was compromised with quantity of comments.
The change in the voting process is attributed to an increase in the number of Facebook users. It is reported that Facebook at present has more than one billion active users.
Facebook has also proposed more changes in the user account' privacy settings:
- 'Facebook Messages' will be provided with new tools to manage the incoming messages, 'Who can send you Facebook messages' will be replaced with new filters.
- Changes to how we refer to certain products, like instant personalization.
- Reminders about what's visible to other people on Facebook. For instance, when you hide things from your timeline, those posts are visible elsewhere, like in news feed, on other people's timelines or in search results.
- Tips on managing your timeline. For example, you can use tools on your timeline or activity log to delete your own posts or you can ask someone else to delete a post in which you're tagged.
For more information regarding the changes in Facebook governance policy, you can click here.
The Facebook has posted Nov. 28 as the last date for users to submit their opinions. After the set date, Facebook chief privacy officer of policy Erin Egan will host Facebook Live to answer users' live queries.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Floyd Mayweather Gets Investment Advice from Warren Buffett What to Do With Millions
- Former U.S. VP Al Gore Backs Ovo Energy by Investing £8 Million Before IPO
- Study Shows Gap Between What Advisors Say and What Resonates with Investors
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge