Facebook to Curb Users’ Rights to Veto Policy Changes
By Rohit KVN | November 24, 2012 11:24 PM EST
Elliot Schrage, Facebook communication head, in his official blog has posted that the social network is preparing to restructure the site's governance process.
Elliot in his blog implies that the social network will remove the voting system that gave its users the right to strike down a policy change.
Earlier, policy changes were struck down if the change prompted more than 7,000 comments and if more than 30 percent of people on Facebook participated in the vote, reported Digits.
Elliot pointed out that the social network's voting mechanism triggered by a number of comments actually resulted in a system where the quality of voting was compromised with quantity of comments.
The change in the voting process is attributed to an increase in the number of Facebook users. It is reported that Facebook at present has more than one billion active users.
Facebook has also proposed more changes in the user account' privacy settings:
- 'Facebook Messages' will be provided with new tools to manage the incoming messages, 'Who can send you Facebook messages' will be replaced with new filters.
- Changes to how we refer to certain products, like instant personalization.
- Reminders about what's visible to other people on Facebook. For instance, when you hide things from your timeline, those posts are visible elsewhere, like in news feed, on other people's timelines or in search results.
- Tips on managing your timeline. For example, you can use tools on your timeline or activity log to delete your own posts or you can ask someone else to delete a post in which you're tagged.
For more information regarding the changes in Facebook governance policy, you can click here.
The Facebook has posted Nov. 28 as the last date for users to submit their opinions. After the set date, Facebook chief privacy officer of policy Erin Egan will host Facebook Live to answer users' live queries.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored