Facebook to Curb Users’ Rights to Veto Policy Changes
By Rohit KVN | November 24, 2012 11:24 PM EST
Elliot Schrage, Facebook communication head, in his official blog has posted that the social network is preparing to restructure the site's governance process.
Elliot in his blog implies that the social network will remove the voting system that gave its users the right to strike down a policy change.
Earlier, policy changes were struck down if the change prompted more than 7,000 comments and if more than 30 percent of people on Facebook participated in the vote, reported Digits.
Elliot pointed out that the social network's voting mechanism triggered by a number of comments actually resulted in a system where the quality of voting was compromised with quantity of comments.
The change in the voting process is attributed to an increase in the number of Facebook users. It is reported that Facebook at present has more than one billion active users.
Facebook has also proposed more changes in the user account' privacy settings:
- 'Facebook Messages' will be provided with new tools to manage the incoming messages, 'Who can send you Facebook messages' will be replaced with new filters.
- Changes to how we refer to certain products, like instant personalization.
- Reminders about what's visible to other people on Facebook. For instance, when you hide things from your timeline, those posts are visible elsewhere, like in news feed, on other people's timelines or in search results.
- Tips on managing your timeline. For example, you can use tools on your timeline or activity log to delete your own posts or you can ask someone else to delete a post in which you're tagged.
For more information regarding the changes in Facebook governance policy, you can click here.
The Facebook has posted Nov. 28 as the last date for users to submit their opinions. After the set date, Facebook chief privacy officer of policy Erin Egan will host Facebook Live to answer users' live queries.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate