Aam Admi Party Hit Hard by Controversies From Day One
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 24, 2012 10:44 PM EST
India Against Corruption activist Arvind Kejriwal's party was on Saturday named Aam Admi Party at a meeting of the founder members but it has been hit by controversies at the very outset.
Kejriwal reportedly proposed the name of the party at a meeting held in Delhi on Saturday, which was accepted by the 300 founder members who attended the meeting. The party also adopted its constitution proposed by Mayank Gandhi and seconded by Chandramohan.
"Main hoon Aam Aadmi. Main laoonga swaraj. Main banaoonga Jan Lokpal (I am the common man, will bring democracy and Jan Lokpal)," tweeted Kejriwal on Saturday.
"The 'aam aadmi' has been synonymous with the Congress party since 1885. Nobody can hijack the intrinsic relation between Congress and the 'aam aadmi'," IANS quoted Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari as saying.
As if that's not enough, it is reported that volunteers from across the country attended the meeting but a group of volunteers from Tamil Nadu was reportedly denied entry, leading to argument between the members.
Arvind Kejriwal parted ways with Anna Hazare, who stuck to keep the anti-corruption movement apolitical, owing to differences over shifting of the the movement to a political one.
Kejriwal announced in October that he would formally launch the party on November 26, the day Indian Constitution was adopted in 1949.
He said ahead of the meeting on Saturday that it's the common men who have formed the party.
"They are not politicians. They are fed up of politicians. They are the people who are fed up of corruption and price rise. This is why the common man has decided to challenge them. Now the common man will sit in Parliament. Party's vision is Swaraj. People should get the 'raj'. That vision will be finalized. 25-30 issues will be discussed which all issues need to be taken first by the party. Committees will be formed. They will make drafts in four-five months. There will discussions through the country," the Times of India quoted Kejriwal as saying.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Kiwi Couple Sues Lawyers for Denial of Holiday Perk in Luxury Resort
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports