Iran Urges UN To Warn US Against ‘Illegal Acts’ In Persian Gulf
By Sreeja V N | November 24, 2012 10:00 PM EST
Iran has written to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the U.N. Security Council, accusing the U.S. Navy of violating its territory and engaging in “illegal acts” in the Sea of Oman and the Persian Gulf.
In two identical letters circulated Friday, Iran's U.N. Ambassador Mohammad Khazaee said that the U.S. had repeatedly violated the country’s airspace and engaged in provocative acts in the Persian Gulf despite several warnings against such penetrations.
Khazaee urged Ban and the Security Council to warn the U.S. “against the continuation of acts in violation of international law and of the adverse consequences of any provocative and dangerous acts for which the United States government would be held responsible," the AFP has reported.
He cited a reported incident of a drone flying over the Persian Gulf Nov 1. He said that the U.S. violated his country’s airspace seven times over the coastal areas of Bushehr in October.
The White House has not reacted to Iran’s allegations.
Earlier this month, Iran said its fighter jets fired on a drone when the unmanned aerial vehicle crossed the country’s territory. Iran alleged that the drone was spying on the country’s oil tankers. However, the White House rebutted the allegations and said the drone was within the international airspace.
"Our aircraft was never in Iranian airspace. It was always flying in international air space. The recognized limit is 12 nautical miles off the coast and we never entered the 12 nautical mile limit," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little was quoted as saying by CNN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- US-led Coalition Has Launched First Airstrike vs. ISIS in Syria – Pentagon
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia
- ISIS Used 'GTA 5' in Teen Recruitment Video, Violent Games Help Gain More Followers
- Chilling: Group Deadlier Than ISIS Had Risen
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4