Pushkar Mela 2012: World’s Largest Camel Fair Kicks Off in Ajmer [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | November 24, 2012 9:23 PM EST
The world famous Pushkar Fair or Pushkar Mela, the annual five-day cattle fair at Pushkar in Rajasthan, began on Wednesday with camel race, music, songs and other cultural programmes. The event has attracted many foreign tourists.
The Pushkar Mela is one of the world's largest camel fairs held annually in the month of October or November, where trading of livestock, including camels, cows, sheep and goats, takes place.
Naseem Akhtar Insaf, Pushkar MLA, inaugurated the fair. The fair begins on the 8th day of lunar calendar and ends on the full moon day.
It has become one of the important tourist attractions in India in recent years. Buying and selling of livestock dominates the first half of the five-day fair while religious activities and other programmes dominate the second half.
Ajmer district administration has declared a public holiday on November 27 on account of major celebrations during the fair, The Times of India has reported. On November 28, the fair will come to an end with a special camel parade and cattle show, followed by "maha aarti," according to the TOI.
Check out some of the stunning pictures from the mela:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family