Pushkar Mela 2012: World’s Largest Camel Fair Kicks Off in Ajmer [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | November 24, 2012 9:23 PM EST
The world famous Pushkar Fair or Pushkar Mela, the annual five-day cattle fair at Pushkar in Rajasthan, began on Wednesday with camel race, music, songs and other cultural programmes. The event has attracted many foreign tourists.
The Pushkar Mela is one of the world's largest camel fairs held annually in the month of October or November, where trading of livestock, including camels, cows, sheep and goats, takes place.
Naseem Akhtar Insaf, Pushkar MLA, inaugurated the fair. The fair begins on the 8th day of lunar calendar and ends on the full moon day.
It has become one of the important tourist attractions in India in recent years. Buying and selling of livestock dominates the first half of the five-day fair while religious activities and other programmes dominate the second half.
Ajmer district administration has declared a public holiday on November 27 on account of major celebrations during the fair, The Times of India has reported. On November 28, the fair will come to an end with a special camel parade and cattle show, followed by "maha aarti," according to the TOI.
Check out some of the stunning pictures from the mela:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- What May Have Happened to Malaysia Airlines MH17: 5 Strangest Conspiracy Theories; Crash Victim Had Frightening ‘Premonition’
- MH17: Pro-Russian Rebel Confesses Firing on Plane by Mistake
- Refloated Italy Cruise Ship Costa Concordia Embarks Final Voyage, Bids Port of Giglio for the Very Last Time (PHOTOS)
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russians Feel Glut Over Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories on Downed Jet
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown