Pushkar Mela 2012: World’s Largest Camel Fair Kicks Off in Ajmer [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | November 24, 2012 9:23 PM EST
The world famous Pushkar Fair or Pushkar Mela, the annual five-day cattle fair at Pushkar in Rajasthan, began on Wednesday with camel race, music, songs and other cultural programmes. The event has attracted many foreign tourists.
The Pushkar Mela is one of the world's largest camel fairs held annually in the month of October or November, where trading of livestock, including camels, cows, sheep and goats, takes place.
Naseem Akhtar Insaf, Pushkar MLA, inaugurated the fair. The fair begins on the 8th day of lunar calendar and ends on the full moon day.
It has become one of the important tourist attractions in India in recent years. Buying and selling of livestock dominates the first half of the five-day fair while religious activities and other programmes dominate the second half.
Ajmer district administration has declared a public holiday on November 27 on account of major celebrations during the fair, The Times of India has reported. On November 28, the fair will come to an end with a special camel parade and cattle show, followed by "maha aarti," according to the TOI.
Check out some of the stunning pictures from the mela:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid