Singapore is World's Least Emotional Country, Says Poll
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 24, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Singapore has been identified as the least emotional country in the world in a survey conducted by US-based pollster Gallup.
People living in Singapore are unlikely to openly express their feelings and emotions on a regular basis, says the survey. Only 36 percent of Singaporeans express their feelings, the lowest proportion in the world, according to the study.
The report has triggered mixed responses from Singaporeans, who complain that their busy lifestyle does not allow them to express their emotions.
"How can Singaporeans be the most emotionless in the world when they complain the most every day? I'm baffled," one user named Melody tweeted.
Meanwhile, Filipinos appear to be the most emotional people; nearly six in 10 people experience and express their feelings daily. Many Latin American countries also feature in the most emotional category.
The study, which covered nearly 150 countries over a span of three years, was conducted among inhabitants over 15 years of age. Nearly 1,000 people from each country participated in the survey.
Respondents were asked what kind of emotions they felt the day before, and provided details of their emotional responses. Experience of negative emotions such as anger, stress, physical pain, worry and sadness, and positive feelings like well-rested, respectfully treated, enjoyment, smiling, and laughing out loud were included in the questionnaire.
The study also reveals that citizens of middle-eastern countries and North Africa experienced more negative feelings, while Latin American countries such as Panama, Paraguay and Venezuela reported more positive emotions.
The survey reflects the growing acknowledgement that emotional responses are an important indicator of a society's overall wellbeing.
Least Emotional Societies
Most Emotional Societies
- El Salvador
- Costa Rica
Click here for the complete list of emotional nations, according to the Gallup Poll.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans