Singapore is World's Least Emotional Country, Says Poll
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 24, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Singapore has been identified as the least emotional country in the world in a survey conducted by US-based pollster Gallup.
People living in Singapore are unlikely to openly express their feelings and emotions on a regular basis, says the survey. Only 36 percent of Singaporeans express their feelings, the lowest proportion in the world, according to the study.
The report has triggered mixed responses from Singaporeans, who complain that their busy lifestyle does not allow them to express their emotions.
"How can Singaporeans be the most emotionless in the world when they complain the most every day? I'm baffled," one user named Melody tweeted.
Meanwhile, Filipinos appear to be the most emotional people; nearly six in 10 people experience and express their feelings daily. Many Latin American countries also feature in the most emotional category.
The study, which covered nearly 150 countries over a span of three years, was conducted among inhabitants over 15 years of age. Nearly 1,000 people from each country participated in the survey.
Respondents were asked what kind of emotions they felt the day before, and provided details of their emotional responses. Experience of negative emotions such as anger, stress, physical pain, worry and sadness, and positive feelings like well-rested, respectfully treated, enjoyment, smiling, and laughing out loud were included in the questionnaire.
The study also reveals that citizens of middle-eastern countries and North Africa experienced more negative feelings, while Latin American countries such as Panama, Paraguay and Venezuela reported more positive emotions.
The survey reflects the growing acknowledgement that emotional responses are an important indicator of a society's overall wellbeing.
Least Emotional Societies
Most Emotional Societies
- El Salvador
- Costa Rica
Click here for the complete list of emotional nations, according to the Gallup Poll.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine