Singapore is World's Least Emotional Country, Says Poll
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 24, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Singapore has been identified as the least emotional country in the world in a survey conducted by US-based pollster Gallup.
People living in Singapore are unlikely to openly express their feelings and emotions on a regular basis, says the survey. Only 36 percent of Singaporeans express their feelings, the lowest proportion in the world, according to the study.
The report has triggered mixed responses from Singaporeans, who complain that their busy lifestyle does not allow them to express their emotions.
"How can Singaporeans be the most emotionless in the world when they complain the most every day? I'm baffled," one user named Melody tweeted.
Meanwhile, Filipinos appear to be the most emotional people; nearly six in 10 people experience and express their feelings daily. Many Latin American countries also feature in the most emotional category.
The study, which covered nearly 150 countries over a span of three years, was conducted among inhabitants over 15 years of age. Nearly 1,000 people from each country participated in the survey.
Respondents were asked what kind of emotions they felt the day before, and provided details of their emotional responses. Experience of negative emotions such as anger, stress, physical pain, worry and sadness, and positive feelings like well-rested, respectfully treated, enjoyment, smiling, and laughing out loud were included in the questionnaire.
The study also reveals that citizens of middle-eastern countries and North Africa experienced more negative feelings, while Latin American countries such as Panama, Paraguay and Venezuela reported more positive emotions.
The survey reflects the growing acknowledgement that emotional responses are an important indicator of a society's overall wellbeing.
Least Emotional Societies
Most Emotional Societies
- El Salvador
- Costa Rica
Click here for the complete list of emotional nations, according to the Gallup Poll.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid