Singapore is World's Least Emotional Country, Says Poll
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 24, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Singapore has been identified as the least emotional country in the world in a survey conducted by US-based pollster Gallup.
People living in Singapore are unlikely to openly express their feelings and emotions on a regular basis, says the survey. Only 36 percent of Singaporeans express their feelings, the lowest proportion in the world, according to the study.
The report has triggered mixed responses from Singaporeans, who complain that their busy lifestyle does not allow them to express their emotions.
"How can Singaporeans be the most emotionless in the world when they complain the most every day? I'm baffled," one user named Melody tweeted.
Meanwhile, Filipinos appear to be the most emotional people; nearly six in 10 people experience and express their feelings daily. Many Latin American countries also feature in the most emotional category.
The study, which covered nearly 150 countries over a span of three years, was conducted among inhabitants over 15 years of age. Nearly 1,000 people from each country participated in the survey.
Respondents were asked what kind of emotions they felt the day before, and provided details of their emotional responses. Experience of negative emotions such as anger, stress, physical pain, worry and sadness, and positive feelings like well-rested, respectfully treated, enjoyment, smiling, and laughing out loud were included in the questionnaire.
The study also reveals that citizens of middle-eastern countries and North Africa experienced more negative feelings, while Latin American countries such as Panama, Paraguay and Venezuela reported more positive emotions.
The survey reflects the growing acknowledgement that emotional responses are an important indicator of a society's overall wellbeing.
Least Emotional Societies
Most Emotional Societies
- El Salvador
- Costa Rica
Click here for the complete list of emotional nations, according to the Gallup Poll.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Wildfires in Canada & U.S. ‘Still Active’
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time