Singapore is World's Least Emotional Country, Says Poll
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 24, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Singapore has been identified as the least emotional country in the world in a survey conducted by US-based pollster Gallup.
People living in Singapore are unlikely to openly express their feelings and emotions on a regular basis, says the survey. Only 36 percent of Singaporeans express their feelings, the lowest proportion in the world, according to the study.
The report has triggered mixed responses from Singaporeans, who complain that their busy lifestyle does not allow them to express their emotions.
"How can Singaporeans be the most emotionless in the world when they complain the most every day? I'm baffled," one user named Melody tweeted.
Meanwhile, Filipinos appear to be the most emotional people; nearly six in 10 people experience and express their feelings daily. Many Latin American countries also feature in the most emotional category.
The study, which covered nearly 150 countries over a span of three years, was conducted among inhabitants over 15 years of age. Nearly 1,000 people from each country participated in the survey.
Respondents were asked what kind of emotions they felt the day before, and provided details of their emotional responses. Experience of negative emotions such as anger, stress, physical pain, worry and sadness, and positive feelings like well-rested, respectfully treated, enjoyment, smiling, and laughing out loud were included in the questionnaire.
The study also reveals that citizens of middle-eastern countries and North Africa experienced more negative feelings, while Latin American countries such as Panama, Paraguay and Venezuela reported more positive emotions.
The survey reflects the growing acknowledgement that emotional responses are an important indicator of a society's overall wellbeing.
Least Emotional Societies
Most Emotional Societies
- El Salvador
- Costa Rica
Click here for the complete list of emotional nations, according to the Gallup Poll.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu