Manchester United v QPR: Where to Watch, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | November 24, 2012 7:29 PM EST
Manchester United welcome managerless QPR to Old Trafford just 24 hours after former Red Devil Mark Hughes was shown the door at Loftus Road.
Where to Watch (all times GMT)
Kick-off is set for 3pm. MUTV will show build-up to the match from 2pm. Watch highlights of the game on Match of the Day on BBC One and BBC One HD at 10.30 pm.
Old Trafford hosted the unveiling of a bronze statue of Sir Alex Ferguson on Friday, to mark the Scot's 26 years at the club, while Hughes' QPR reign came to an unceremonious end at Loftus Road. Rumours suggest Rangers owner Tony Fernandes has already appointed Harry Redknapp as a replacement but caretakers Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki will take charge against United.
Hughes's fate had been a subject of speculation for weeks: QPR, who spent heavily in the summer to bring in talents such as Julio Cesar and Esteban Granero, have taken just four points from their opening 12 games, which is the joint-worst start to a season in Premier League history. The west Londoners are at the bottom of the table, four points behind fellow strugglers Southampton, who beat them 1-3 at Loftus Road last week.
United, on the other hand, have had a good start to the season, winning nine out of 12 league games. They also sealed top spot in Group H of the Champions League earlier this month, with two matches to spare. However, Ferguson's side suffered a shock 0-1 defeat at Norwich City last week and surrendered top spot to local rivals and current English champions Manchester City. The Red Devils also lost 0-1 to Galatasaray in midweek, after the Scot gave some of his key players a breather. United rarely fall to successive defeats and will be looking to bounce back with a big win against the crisis-hit west London club.
- Last five (all competitions, most recent first): L L W W W
- Last result: Galatasaray 1 - 0 Manchester United
- Last five (all competitions, most recent first): L L D L D
- Last result: QPR 1 - 3 Southampton
Manchester United: Nemanja Vidic, Shinji Kagawa (both knee) and Nani (hamstring) remain sidelined for the Red Devils. However, Wayne Rooney has recovered from tonsillitis, which prevented him travelling to Istanbul in midweek, and will be involved from the start, while Chris Smalling (shoulder), David de Gea (tooth) and Johnny Evans (groin) have also returned, though the latter is unlikely to feature in this tie.
Probable Line-up (4-4-1-1): de Gea; Rafael, Ferdinand, Smalling, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Scholes, Young; Rooney; van Persie
QPR: The London outfit suffered a heavy blow when it was revealed Bobby Zamora needed surgery on a hip injury and will likely be sidelined for around three months, while fellow striker Andy Johnson (knee) remains a long-term absentee. Captain and former United midfielder Ji-Sung Park also has a knee problem and is a major doubt, while on loan wing-back Fabio da Silva is ineligible to face his parent club. However, centre-back Stephane Mbia is available after serving a three-match ban for his red card against Arsenal last month.
Probable Line-up (4-2-3-1): Julio Cesar; Bosingwa, Mbia, Nelsen, Traore; Diakite, Faurlin; Granero, Taarabt, Hoilett; Cisse
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments